Dalton Highway / Haul Road

dlip

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to go on a trip at the beginning of September with a couple of friends to hunt Caribou on the Haul Road. It appears that there are streams/rivers that intersect and follow the road all the way to Prudhoe Bay. Curious what the quality of fishing is like and what opportunities may exist? Is there a decent likelihood of catching any Char or will it all be Grayling? Also, how big are the Grayling on average?

Any tips are appreciated.

bushak

Reaction score
I had a friend do a similar trip a few years ago. He enjoyed some tremendous grayling fishing using dry flies and nymphs. Pretty much any stream will have grayling.

only adipose

Reaction score
I was up on the haul road and fished the Sag in 2019. There were a bunch of Grayling. They can reach 35 years old in that river! Also caught some chum salmon. I saw some dead pinks as well. I did not hook any char but I think it's possible. I think your best bet for char is to fish rivers that connect with the bay.

Acheron

Reaction score
Most of the small rivers/creeks will have grayling, purchase the fly fisherman's guide to alaska or the guide to fishing AK road system and it has all the details there. If you fish for an hour or two with nothing, go find a new river/creek. The farther you walk from the road, the better. For char, look for lakes.

LePetomane

Reaction score
The TV program Ice Road Truckers features some episodes that were filmed there. Beautiful country.