Daytona Beach Surf Fishing

MDC183

Reaction score
Headed down to Daytona Beach to stay with some friends over New Years. I'm planning on bringing my 9 wt and some smallish minnow and crab patterns to fish the surf in the morning before everyone wakes up. I am extremely unfamiliar with the area so I really have no idea what I'll be getting into. Anybody have experience fishing this area and care to share some tips? What kind of fish will be down there? Is it even worth bringing a fly rod or should I just focus on cooking a mean breakfast every morning??

dswice

Reaction score
Headed down to Daytona Beach to stay with some friends over New Years. I'm planning on bringing my 9 wt and some smallish minnow and crab patterns to fish the surf in the morning before everyone wakes up. I am extremely unfamiliar with the area so I really have no idea what I'll be getting into. Anybody have experience fishing this area and care to share some tips? What kind of fish will be down there? Is it even worth bringing a fly rod or should I just focus on cooking a mean breakfast every morning??
I live and fish about 50 miles north of Daytona Beach. This time of year is usually tough fly fishing in the surf as the water temps are low and most of the game fish are in deeper water offshore or in inshore creeks which warm up during the day. If you can afford it, I'd definitely recommend hiring a guide. If you fishing alone, I would recommend finding a creek if possible and fishing around oyster bars or grass, or drains on the falling tide and later in the day when the temps are the warmest. In the creeks you may find spotted sea trout, redfish, flounder, etc. Your best option may just be to cook a mean breakfast each morning and enjoy the scenery. Happy New Year!

fatbillybob

Reaction score
I second the guide but I have had great luck in Fl. Fl winter is temperature hot by anyone else in the country's standard. I Visited a friend last year in D beach in 1st week of January and did great! I landed in Miami raced at Homestead and had a 100 fish day on 1 borski slider off 10,000 islands then onto d beach slaying fish, then on to race at Sebring, and fish Tampa on the way out back to Cali.. Florida has fish everywhere! Guys are pulled over in drainage ditches and catching snook. The biggest mistake you can make is not fishing in Florida. Fishermen who live in that State are truly blessed!

Gunslinger

Reaction score
I second the guide but I have had great luck in Fl. Fl winter is temperature hot by anyone else in the country's standard. I Visited a friend last year in D beach in 1st week of January and did great! I landed in Miami raced at Homestead and had a 100 fish day on 1 borski slider off 10,000 islands then onto d beach slaying fish, then on to race at Sebring, and fish Tampa on the way out back to Cali.. Florida has fish everywhere! Guys are pulled over in drainage ditches and catching snook. The biggest mistake you can make is not fishing in Florida. Fishermen who live in that State are truly blessed!
That canal right by homestead freeway is like an aquarium. My son and I saw some giant jack crevalle in there, like 30 pounders. I think all the other fish were hiding. We got skunked in that spot but it was pretty cool. You could hear the cars running on the track.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
I have not seen that canal but I'll check it out next time I'm at homestead. I love that place