Decent pair of half finger gloves?

The Fisher King

Reaction score
Went out for a couple hours today, was around 30° when I got home and the only discomfort I experienced while I was out is that my hands were cold so I'm looking to get a pair of gloves soon. I'm looking for the lightest, thinnest, half finger style I can find that will still block wind and keep me reasonably warm, I would like to retain as much dexterity as possible. I have noticed that some of them have a mitten flap but that is of no importance to me but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if a great pair of gloves happen to have one but I wouldn't pay extra to have one. I'd like to keep it under $50 if I can and I would love to hear what has worked for y'all and any suggestions you have.

markmark444

Reaction score
I like Fish Monkey Stubby Guide Gloves, good all year, though not as warm as fleece.

el jefe

Reaction score
One thing to consider about the foldover mitts with the half-fingers is that if the foldover portion is constructed properly, you can stick those stick those chemical handwarmer packets in the foldover part. So when you fold the end of the mitt back over, you can warm up your hands and fingertips quickly. It's really nice after releasing a fish in cold water in the winter.

LandoLando

Reaction score
I’ve been wearing Simms windbloc gloves and I fish in pretty harsh conditions all winter long. However, the secret is in what I wear underneath. Give these a try:

They are thick enough to provide some insulation and are very effective at shedding water. They are also thin enough that I can still tie a blood knot with 7x tippet.

if it drops into the single digits and/or the winds are high the Patagonia R1s are the only thing that will keep me from getting the screaming barfies. However, tying knots is not quite as easy as with the disposable nitrile gloves.

This may be stating the obvious, but what ever route you go, ensure you don’t go too tight. Too tight and it can be worse than no gloves at all because of the restricted blood flow to your hands and fingers.

mike_r

Reaction score
All the High Techie Schmeckie, and expensive gloves out there are no match for a very reasonably price pair of woolies! Wool still keeps you warm when wet and is a no-brainer for fingerless fishing gloves!

Something as simple as this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmckinl1

Reaction score
I use the Glacier Glove Fold over mitts. Love them. Can probably find them for $15-20. It was 28 when I hit the water this past weekend, no issues at all......until I had to put my hand in the water!

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
One thing to consider about the foldover mitts with the half-fingers is that if the foldover portion is constructed properly, you can stick those stick those chemical handwarmer packets in the foldover part. So when you fold the end of the mitt back over, you can warm up your hands and fingertips quickly. It's really nice after releasing a fish in cold water in the winter.
Simms fingerless have pockets sewn into the wrist for warmer packets. The wrist is the best place for heat around the hands.

Mike, I tried those wool gloves years ago. IME the Polartec out lasts the wool 3 to1.

el jefe

Reaction score
Simms fingerless have pockets sewn into the wrist for warmer packets. The wrist is the best place for heat around the hands.

Mike, I tried those wool gloves years ago. IME the Polartec out lasts the wool 3 to1.
That's even better. I have an older version of the Simms mitts that lacks those hand warmer pockets on the wrist. Back to the fly shop...

The Fisher King

Reaction score
I found a pair of the Simms wool gloves in my size for $25 shipped so I ordered a pair, for that price I'm willing to give them a shot.

jzim

Reaction score
Do you have an army/navy surplus store around you? They some some very warm fingerless gloves.

flav

Reaction score
You'll like those Simms woolies. I've tried a couple high-tech gloves over the years, none of them work as well for me as wool. Wool stays warm, even when wet. I can reach into the water to tail a steelhead on a cold day, then just wring the water out of the glove, get right back to fishing, and my hands stay warm.

Paul Johnson

Reaction score
I use wool gloves and fold over wool mittens when it gets cold. Like Minnesota cold! The key is the disposable hand warmers. I put them on the back of my hands and also on the top of my feet between the layers of my socks.