Deer hair daddy long legs dry fly

coha

Reaction score
During late summer & autumn large numbers of crane flies begin to hatch and loose the battle against the elements and end their life on the water as trout food. This daddy long legs pattern has quick & easy detached deer hair body technique that gives it a nice semi-realistic appearance.

bumble54

Reaction score
In reference to still waters/lakes, they always seem to work best for me if there is something of a breeze to blow them onto the water in the first place where they seem to tumble along, downwind of course. Conversely, A flat calm has them struggling to get into the air from the water surface if they happen to stray onto it and are sitting ducks for the fish. So in a breeze I will cast upwind and use a twitch retrieve but leave it motionless in a flat calm, maybe with the odd twitch. Fish appear to try to drown them with a tail slap first in a calm before turning to take them but have a tendency to take them more decisively in a breeze so setting the hook differs depending on the conditions at the time. Evenings or warmish overcast days after rain are prime times for the daddies in my experience. If the fish are making an effort to take but failing, go down a size or two which seems to work for me. A deer hair sedge or dry muddler is a good standby in a breeze if you don't happen to have a daddy pattern on you when they appear.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
There is nothing more fun than watching large browns chase crane flies. I like the pattern but it also looks like they incorporated hex in there too.