Disease Outbreak at Hot Creek Fish Hatchery...

planettrout

Reaction score

satyr

Reaction score
They should just get rid of the planting program and they won't have this problem and be introducing exotic diseases into our waters. If you want to eat trout go to the market or the back country.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
They should just get rid of the planting program and they won't have this problem and be introducing exotic diseases into our waters. If you want to eat trout go to the market or the back country.
We all hate people but people bring the nice infrastructure so we can enjoy the sport. We need the bait slinging plant trout people. We have great places to stay, choices of gas stations, choices of restaurants, and some towns like West Yellowstone have half-dozen flyshops in case you are looking for that certain piece of equipment. Once my wife broke the tip off my daughter's B-day gift of a nice Winston 3wt. while were in West Yellowstone. My wife was able to go right to a flyshop and buy her a new exact one to fish the weeks we were there and the shop shipped the broken rod off to Winston for repair and it was back in 2 weeks! All we have to do is hike in past johnny 6-pack and the streams are all to ourselves.

yikes

Reaction score
I don't think satyr said anything about hating people; it was only about the disease risks associated with hatchery-planted trout.
IIRC, decades ago Montana stopped stocking trout in streams and rivers that supported wild trout populations (incl. West Yellowstone area), and they seem to have no lack of satisfied anglers.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
I don't think satyr said anything about hating people; it was only about the disease risks associated with hatchery-planted trout.
IIRC, decades ago Montana stopped stocking trout in streams and rivers that supported wild trout populations (incl. West Yellowstone area), and they seem to have no lack of satisfied anglers.
I just said hate people because we all don't want to be fishing shoulder to shoulder. Cali isn't Montana. In Cali we have people fishing shoulder to shoulder on all public waters. Pressure is intense and I'm pretty sure stocking supports the natural population. We would have to severely cut back bag limits or there would be no more fish here. Johnny 6-pack is relentless and wants numbers.

darkshadow

Reaction score
While I do deem this an interesting point, stocking programs really do benefit those who want to catch fish, but don't have access to get to a lot of places.

I've volunteered for the "Fishing in the City" program that DFG has had for more than 20 years, and the catfish and trout stocks in our local ponds can get a lot of individuals who don't have to ability to fish bodies of water that are further away, interested in the sport. I can count not only children, but adults, many with disabilities that have access issues, that can enjoy a day out locally.

I know my local pond (Echo Park) kept my butt outta trouble for years growing up.

NOW, when it comes to stocking hatchery trout in wild trout waters (Owens, for example) I am glad the hatchery trout exist so those are the ones that get placed on the grill at camp, while the 'smarter' wilder trout can breathe easy for another day.

I can't count the numbers of wild trout that were getting caught and eaten in the June Lake area simply because the regular stocks were halted last year.

Last edited:

yikes

Reaction score
darkshadow, I've never heard of the "Fishing In the City" program. Can you explain more, or send a link?

satyr

Reaction score
Not that I don't hate people... :rolleyes:

But the problem I have with the hatchery industry is that most of our wildlife money goes to support that and not to support wildlife. And most places they stock end up barren because the plants (especially triploids) don't reproduce and pretty much don't even survive the winter and the plants displace the wild trout to a large extent. And then you add in the diseases that roll thru the hatchery programs and it becomes something close to a nightmare situation.

If you want to eat trout go to the fricken store. If you want to fish, fish for wild trout and put them back to be enjoyed by everyone.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
If you want to eat trout go to the fricken store. If you want to fish, fish for wild trout and put them back to be enjoyed by everyone.
Some would tell you and me to stop harassing fish and outlaw fishing. Fishing is animal cruelty to some. Where does society draw the line? Hanging stringer of 50 fish used to be a daily occurrence. Now any one of us would be calling the game warden. There is a place for bait slinging , stock fish, and maxing out bag limits.

darkshadow

Reaction score
darkshadow, I've never heard of the "Fishing In the City" program. Can you explain more, or send a link?
Planettrout sent the link.

Back in 1993, we asked the DFG to instill a stocking program at our local lakes. They agreed and the "stocking in the city" program began. They stocked trout during the winter, and catfish during the summer.

I can attest to being the first person to catch a rainbow trout out of Echo Park lake!

As I got older, I volunteered my time to their events they used to hold every year (not this year thanks to Covid)

You get out there, help kids tie knots, get tangles out, get hooks outta fish, educate them about being a good steward to the sport. That kinda stuff. I've seen kids grow up to be avid fishermen thanks to these stocking programs.

Again, it's not black and white. It's not stocking versus not stocking. There are gray areas. Some stocking programs do excel, and there are some stocking programs that should be halted. I know there have been some stocking efforts that have brought fish back from the brink. Kinda like the Pauite Cutthroat program.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
I was just there. The hatchery is closed and looked vacant. The fish are plentiful. For some reason this week the water was extremely clear everywhere. The shear number of fish I was seeing was more than I have ever seen before. I assume they were always there in the past. I attribute that to either the really clear water or the past couple of months new learned skills trying to sight fish the surf. The water was not particularly low so I don't think that was it but it could have contributed. I never really pay attention to water levels and flows. I was not around conventional fishermen so I do not know if their catch has been effected by lack of plants. But where we fish there was no problem.