Disrespecting the tradition

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Yesterday I went to a meeting of local bamboo enthusiasts. 5 guys all in their 70's and 80's. At first they were very happy to have the new, younger me join their group.
We all chatted awhile then came the time for them to check out my rods. Both received much praise, especially the Jenkins.
The head of the group suggested we take them outside so everyone could try them and I quickly agreed. Then he asked what reels I brought so I went out to the truck and got them.

When I took them out of their cases it was as though Charles Manson had just walked into the room. Shock and horror on every face. The man standing next to me says "Large Arbor, pity."
Then the head guy says "Let me grab some proper reels so we can give them a go." I'm thinking WTF.

"No need I say, these reels are fine, and they are clickers."
More shock. "But they disrespect the tradition of cane" is the reply.
I respond with "This has been educational but I'm leaving now. I don't follow tradition, I create my own." I pack up, say goodbye and leave.

This morning I get a call saying if I change my mind I am welcome back. I say well if you change your mind I'll consider it. Until then, thanks but no thanks.
I never realized intolerance was the tradition of cane. As I said, educational and reaffirms why I don't like clubs.

GManBart

Reaction score
Wow...that's awful! I think it's nice when you can pair a vintage rod with a vintage reel, but whatever floats your boat is what you should do. It would be one thing if they gave you a little bit of old guy teasing, but saying it's disrespecting the tradition is BS. I think leaving was the right thing to do...no sense in getting into an argument with closed minds. Obviously they don't want anyone who thinks differently, so no sense in being there.

trev

Reaction score
Aren't all traditions founded in intolerance? inability to accept change?
Any tradition ["a long-established custom or belief that has been passed on from one generation to another"] is by definition closed to change or outside the tribe/clan/cult influence.

Petrus

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, Hayden. It makes for an interesting insight into a culture I am unfamiliar witth. But why am I not surpriced by the fact that old men fishing cane rods are conservative also when it comes to reels?

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Old guys :unsure:

Proper reel on one of my cookie cutter rods ;)

Featherweight on my flea rod and a St. Aidan on the Light Salmon eight weight. Those guys would probably like the outfits. By the way, although that is a rod made by a mass producer I had that one made for me. The builder actually built the rod to balance with a Princess on it, the butt of the rod has tungsten inside to provide the feel I like when a rod is in my mitt.

I use it for small stream trout and grayling here and have been fishing that same outfit since 95. Prior to 94 I could not afford to have rods made because I was traveling more than working. In 94 I knuckled down and cut the travel budget somewhat. That outfit is one of my favorite single hand sets.

bonefish41

Reaction score
Did your LA have a drag...wonder if an Abel clicker would have been acceptable...think they would have cast me out with...a second generation FIN Nor not LA but beefy drag

Attachments

COTater

Reaction score
Same reasons why I quit my local fly fishing club years ago. They are so stuck in their ways. I never mind anyone and their ideas but when it becomes lecturing and shaming, I am out.

Exact same deal with my local archery club. I was lectured years ago because I shoot a modern compound with all the bells and whistles. It is what helps me to be successful. But they would not hear it.

I can also add the Colorado Bowhunters Association. I gave up my membership about 15 years back as they do not like compound bow hunters.

All of these examples are why they do not get my money any longer.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I have a lot of different reels (around 40 I think) but, I use older style reels on my cane rods usually a Orvis CFO, Hardy Princess, Hardy Marquis or Pflueger Medalist, they just look better to me. But whatever, floats your boat. Back in the 50's and 60's guys fitted their fiberglass and Bamboo sticks with automatic reels! Probably got more than a few broken tips from that choice.:)

Personally, I would not let one small discussion or negative opinion inhibit my desire to share and interact with like minded individuals on the subject of Bamboo fly rods. Personally, I would just have laughed it off and said something like well if you are offering me one of your reels I am open to it.:)

By saying that I am not finding fault with you, just offering a different view point. In my casting club and on this forum we get into plenty of discussions regarding stream etiqutte, proper techniques, rod choice, reel choice etc... if I walked away because, someone or even several people disagreed with me I would have no interactions at all, I believe peaceful discourse is one of the ways we learn things.

By the way I thought it was pretty nice of the gentleman to call you back and extend a fig leaf... after all they knew what your opinion was and it seems they were willing to honor your opinion so it seems they are not really that closed minded, they just hold a strong opinion.

COTater

Reaction score
For me, it's all about getting lectured about my choice of gear.

At the end of the day, it's my choice of what I want to spend money on. It's literally that simple. I respect the sport in every way. I just dont need people shaming because they don't agree with me. Same deal on my part... I may not agree with others but I respect their choice.

Some may think that is blunt but it really is nobody's choice but my own.

silver creek

Reaction score
When I took them out of their cases it was as though Charles Manson had just walked into the room. Shock and horror on every face. The man standing next to me says "Large Arbor, pity."

Then the head guy says "Let me grab some proper reels so we can give them a go." I'm thinking WTF.

"No need I say, these reels are fine, and they are clickers."
More shock. "But they disrespect the tradition of cane" is the reply.

I never realized intolerance was the tradition of cane. As I said, educational and reaffirms why I don't like clubs.
I wonder if they only fish dries upstream to rising trout? No nymphing, no downstream fly fishing, or casing upstream with a searching fly.

I wonder if a guy named Halford amongst them.

LePetomane

Reaction score
It always seems that when you encounter a group of like minded individuals there is always a ring leader. He's easy to spot. He's the one who holds court while the rest of the posse just listens. Disagree with him and the minions are all over you.

redietz

Reaction score
I could give a crap what anyone else puts on their rod but no large arbor on my boo rod....It just doesnt look right (to me) ,,but to each his own.
Just so ... and I'd probably rib somebody else for doing so, as long as it was somebody who knew me well enough to know I ws kidding.

okaloosa

Reaction score
Just so ... and I'd probably rib somebody else for doing so, as long as it was somebody who knew me well enough to know I ws kidding.
I agree 100%...I would never say something....its just personal aesthetics....I am not wearing a vest or smoking a pipe. I could give a crap about tradition also.