DIY Rod Tube

swfl daz

Reaction score
Anybody have any experiences (good or bad) with a DIY rod tube? I've got a two-piece 7'6" 3wt that doesn't have a tube and I really don't want to risk it getting dinged up.

I've looked around online and did find a nice looking pre-made 48" carbon fiber tube on the auction site, but I got to thinking that I should be able to make something myself for less if I can source materials (aluminum or glass tubing and end caps). I know I could go with PVC, but would really prefer something nicer.

Any ideas / suggestions?

trev

Reaction score
I've used PVC drain pipe for 30+ years. Probably have a dozen currently. Never have had any trouble with them.
Most 2 piece rods will fit in 1 1/4" thin wall (sch20 has larger than nominal ID) I put a cap on one end and screw cap on the other. <$10/rod iirc
It could be covered with cloth or painted, perhaps camo colors
Key is PVC is available next door, most aluminum or FRP tubing is going to be harder to source.

Fiberglass tubing will probably be called FRP
The ID needs to minimal ~1 3/8"

There is a 48" Sage aluminum tube on eBay at the moment

duker

Reaction score
Like Trev, I make my own rod tubes out of PVC pipe. Cheap, easy to make, absolutely bombproof. Cut out some 1/4" foam to put in the end caps, and use epoxy to glue them together instead of the two-part PVC cement. I put all sorts of fishy stickers on mine; you could paint them or cover them with cloth as Trev suggests to make them look classier. Maybe get a sticker from your rod maker/brand?

Scott

bumble54

Reaction score
If you do decide on aluminium tubing be sure to check that the seam inside is clean, there is usually a very sharp burr on welded tubing ( the cheapest ) so the tube will need to be lined with foam, 3mm (1/8") will be fine. Seamless tubing ( cold drawn ) is available but is more expensive because of the production process. Check the metal gauge ( wall thickness) before you buy it because there is a bewildering array of choices. Ali tubing polishes up beautifully if it's looks your after and any local machine shop or a friend with a lathe will be able to turn up some end caps for you.
PVC tubing is not stable at elevated temperatures, such as those you get in a vehicle in summer, and will develop a bend. Thicker plastic tubing, for in ground drains for example, is stable but may not be available in the sizes you require, most is far to big in diameter.

PS; I recently made some Aluminium uplighter's from welded tubing and made a 2 7/8" reamer to remove the burr but I'm guessing you won't want to go that far.

snubnose57

Reaction score
I have a carpet store nearby. The cores from the carpet rolls are just about crush proof.
Thought about making one, I am sure they would give me all I would want.
Now, how to make end caps, and waterproof the cardboard tubes....

trev

Reaction score
how to make end caps, and waterproof the cardboard tubes....
Any kind of spar/exterior varnish will water proof the paper tube and you use a scroll saw to make wooden plugs for the ends, glue one permanently and use stick on velcro strap to secure the other like a plug. rug tubes are bulky, and somewhat heavy in comparison to PVC and will probably hold two two peice rods in socks.

tferg

Reaction score
When I was building rods, just for kicks I ran over some thin wall pvc and an aluminum tube with my Landcruiser. No comparison. PVC was fine, aluminum was crushed. From a functional point of view, it was an easy decision for me to choose the correct material.

swfl daz

Reaction score
As an update, after looking at multiple options (including buying a pre-made tube), I decided to just sell the tubeless two-piece and buy a new rod that came with a tube. New rod, easier transport, and net outlay (after applying proceeds from the sale) actually less than if I had purchased one of the new tubes that I was considering.

jdraizor

Reaction score
PVC is a great option for protection and ease of fabrication. Last year I wanted to make a good friend a gift for Christmas, so decided to make him a fly rod tube out of a piece of wormy Chestnut I had found. Still offers good protection, but also looks unique.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JDR

Reaction score
It is unique, but you left off a few more adjectives like, beautiful, exceptional, dazzling.
There, that's better.