Do I need a fiberglass stick

jujim

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have 10 graphites, 4 bamboo, an old 7' wonderod. Do I need s-glass rod? Cheers, Chet

proheli

Reaction score
You might do something interesting, like a Larry Kinney 813, or any other rod that is looked at as a masterpiece within the glass universe. Another idea is to pick your very favorite piece of small/medium water. Call around to some of the custom builders, talk to a few guys and see what they say about that particular stretch of water. What are their ideas what are their solotions.

Then just pull the trigger and see if you fall in love. If not, they eBay faster than you can type the ad.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
You need a couple Fenwick Feralites a couple Mc Farlands, one Tom Morgan and at least a couple Livingstons and Barclay`s. Then you will sell off most of the graphite or you will be balanced out at 24 rods.

KenBrown

Reaction score
If you are asking that question then you have the itch, you might as well give in now and pull the trigger...
Spoken by someone who seems to be completely addicted :)

Im stuck at 1 fly rod at the moment but have close to 30 spinning rods...

jujim

Reaction score
Nope really like the 1 wt orvis ,2 wt Orvis,3wt sage,4 wt orvis,4 wt winston graphites Is the s-glass as sweet?

LePetomane

Reaction score
I am not a believer in owning a lot of gear. Every rod I have gets used. If you won't use it, save your $$$.

trev

Reaction score
I am not a believer in owning a lot of gear. Every rod I have gets used. If you won't use it, save your $$$.
But if you are careful what you buy and how much you pay, unused rods can appreciate in value and become an investment; it is important that your future widow understand this investment factor elsewise she will sell them for what you said you paid for them.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Very few rods are investment vehicles, you won't make money on a resale most likely. They are an acquired taste and the plethora of new high quality rods is tremendous. You get what you pay for and the good ones are indeed great fishing sticks. They come from slow to fast but most are medium to medium fast and a delight to fish for the day. Get a good one and you most likely will not regret it. You can cop some really good deals on the used market or have one made just for you from a custom builder, McFarland, Barclay, Kenney, Morgan, Haldin, Kabuto, Yamogi and several others I have no experience with.
Pick carefully and I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's not graphite though.
And how could I have missed Mark Steffen of Steffen Bros. he has been making glass longer than all the above! His rods a a bit faster than many. A great guy too.

Last edited: