Do you buy or tie?

Of the flies that you fish with, do you tie them or buy them?

• Total voters

brucerducer

Reaction score
After an ill-fated fishing trip, in which the store bought nymphs and streamers were found to be made with zero lead wire in them, which meant that the money on them was wasted because they would not get to fishing depth
I will tie 90% of everything I fish with.

rasputinj

Reaction score
I only tie 8-10 different flies, they tend to be the flies I use the most. Otherwise I buy another handful types of flies. Overtime I will tie better and hopefully get to 100% of tying my own flies.

socorrofly

Reaction score
I enjoy trying to tie stuff that looks roughly like what the natives may see, and hope they ride right in the film. Have to admit I gotta have the time, patience and enough magnification to crank out anything under about an 18. If you have sensitive ears, you may prefer to leave the room. ;)

drydropper

Reaction score
Of all the flies I have they were either tied by me, or received from swaps, or given to me by some guys I fish with ("hey, you might want a couple of these" or "you might want to try this one"). The only flies I have bought out of necessity were some nymph patterns sold at wal mart. I have purchased a few along the way just for shucks.

brucerducer

Reaction score
:wow: 85% of everything I fish with, I tie myself.

I got nothing against store bought flies, except that the wets are never weighted.

One of the things I buy currently, are dries serving as Indicators.

I tie anything and everything that is Wet.

itchmesir

Reaction score
ever since I started tying my own.. 99.7% of all my flies in my boxes are tied by myself.. I'll pick up a couple here and there at the local-ish shops to help support their business if anything

nick k

Reaction score
I used to buy flies, then I got a tying starter kit and was instantly hooked. The day I bought the kit was the last day I purchased a fly. I'd rather catch one fish on a fly of my own design than 2 fish on one I purchased from a store. Once you start, you cant go back.

mattneeds

Reaction score
I put down tie occasionally even though I barely do because I dont have my own equipment. Probably have tied less than 15 flies in my 5 years of fly fishing. I'm going to start tying my own here soon, so I'm positive you guys will see more of me regarding that.

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

I figure if I tie my own streamers and some nymphs I'll save some money. Plus Ill still get to go into the shops.

roofish

Reaction score
I bought flies when I 1st started, but thought they were expensive. Now I don't buy any flies though, I enjoy tying & having the flies that work for me. I have them when I wanna have them, instead of waitting till I get to the fly shop to replenish.

lv2nymph

Reaction score
I tie them all, on the occasion when I'm out and about in a new area I'll buy some of the local flies for that area. Been rolling my own for 27 yrs now, I distinctly remember longing for the day when I would be good enough to not be dependent on having to buy them.

Mnflyfish

Reaction score
I buy simply because I can't tie. I do want to learn tho, so like mentioned above, I won't have to be dependent on buying them. Plus it looks like fun.

Sent from my iPhone

boomslang

Reaction score
I buy anything smaller than 20. also, when I am at a new location fishing for something that I am not famillier with, I would buy from the local store. I have a back problem, that prevented me from tying for a while, my local store kept me fishing with their supply of some nicely tied flies.

M

mridenour

I love fishing my own flies but I always, always buy some flies in the local shop and talk to the guys working there. I can always find something that is working that I don't have as I tend to limit my tying to my favorites most of the time and it seems that better information is shared with paying customers over someone that just stops by for intel. But then again, I am one of those guys that sometimes buys something from a gas station even if I only stopped by to use the restroom.

looper34

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to this so I buy, mostly online where I find them reasonably priced. I'll pick some up in fly shops when I travel because there aren't any small fly shops near me, just box stores that have small overpriced fly fishing sections. I'll probably get into tying in the future but we'll see how it goes.
Judging by all the "complete" fly tying set ups I constantly see for sale on ebay, it's either a very frustrating endeavor or the do it yourselfers are dropping like flies and their families are looking to recoup some.

honyuk96

Reaction score
I tied my first fly, a Wooly Worm, at the age of eight. I just turned 40 and have been tying steadily the whole time. Currently, larger swing type steelhead patterns and even dabbling in the Victorian era classics.

wolfglen

Reaction score
The last time I bought a fly was on my honeymoon and I discovered that my wife had taken ALL of my fishing tackle out of the car before we left!

I had to buy a new rod, reel, line, flies, etc.

Proves that one should have the honeymoon first!

It's the old story about the shortest love story in the world.
A man met a beautiful princess
He asked her to marry him.
she said no.
And he lived, fished, hunted and camped happily ever afterward.

wyldechylde77

Reaction score
I bought literally just a handful of flies when I first started. A couple of dries, a couple of Clousers, a Woolly Bugger, and a diver. That's all I needed to decide that I wanted to learn how to tie my own. Used for reference, studied up (and still doing so) and haven't looked back since. I find it much more gratifying when you catch fish on flies you've tied or created yourself.