Do You Buy Your Flies?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
If you buy flies, I just wanted to give a shout out to our member Jerry (aka hairwing530). His work is outstanding and at a very affordable price.

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/...boxes-classifieds/372919-2019-miracle-xl.html

Here is Jerry's background:
Jerry is a five time survivor of brain cancer. During his first recovery some 22 years ago, he asked his doctor if it would be ok to bring in his fly tying kit to help with his recovery and eye-hand coordination. That set off a whirl wind of kids in the cancer ward wanting to see what he was doing and that evolved into Jerry teaching brain cancer kids how to tie flies while they are in recovery in the hospital. So for the past 22 years Jerry has devoted his time and energy to teaching cancer kids how to tie flies. But these classes come with a cost of purchasing materials, as the classes are offered free to the kids. Jerry needs our help, so if you need flies, please think about purchasing from Jerry, I promise you won't be disappointed.

dennyk

Reaction score
Also if anyone has an accumulation of fly tying materials that are not in use, maybe send them Jerry's way. They will be put toward a great cause!

Denny

spm

Reaction score
Glad you brought this up, Larry.

Forgetting Jerry's back story and his mission with his kids, the quality of his flies is greater than flies you might buy elsewhere. And the price is unbeatable. The only problem Jerry has is in arithmetic; he always sends more than you paid for. I also encourage anyone who buys their flies to contact Jerry. He can and will customize a box to your specific needs.

Denny, excellent suggestion about sending any surplus tying material to Jerry.

Thanks,
steve

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
Jerry is what they call a "peach". ;) His flies are top notch, beautifully displayed and he sells them way too cheap. Everyone should buy from Jerry, he is truly a treasure for the forum and a pleasure to deal with

And Jerry if you are reading this expect a order coming soon, my friend on my last trip was impressed with your work and I want to get him a xmas present

kev

smoke33

Reaction score
Jerry is awesome. I have never met him but every contact I have made with him to place my orders he makes you feel like your an old friend. I feel everyone should order from him not only because of what he does but because his flies are awesome. The come all laid out in a box accompanied with a typed up inventory of each fly row by row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hairwing530

Reaction score
beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan
Guys,

Thank you for all of the kindness and support you've shown me in this thread, and over the years as well. In spite of the ongoing cancer fight, I consider myself to be one of the luckiest anglers on the planet! After all, I get to spend my Saturday teaching fly tying to "my kids," something that I've done for the last 21 years. And, when I'm not teaching, I spend my days tying up bugs that will eventually find their way into the boxes you carry astream, and that's a damn good feeling for this aging tier.

k_e_v, I'll have the vise fired up and ready to go. Steve, you're spot-on about my "math skills." My approach to tying/building a box of flies is rooted in the far distant past, back to when an 8-year old boy was given his first "real" fly box by an old fly man whose shop rested within walking distance of the North Branch of the AuSable River. I never forgot his generosity, and thought it best to carry on that tradition and continue to pay it forward.

And, just so you know... You're all welcome on my stretch of the river anytime. Have a good one, my friends, and thank you for your kind words about this path I have chosen...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

cooutlaw

Reaction score
I would take it even one step further. Even if you tie, there are times when you just can't/won't be able to dedicate time to do so, it's reality. I have found myself in this situation quite often. SO...if you need to refill but do not have the time to dedicate at your own vise....I would tell anyone that Jerry should be a first choice of consideration. He, just this year, answered my need to refill a terrestrial specific batch of bugs....and as easy as it was to contact him and explain my need, it was even easier to trust him fully as my personal concierge fly tier....well beyond his ability to tie, which is absolutely first rate in anybody's book, is his mission for "His Kids".....I'm really not sure how anyone could not be overtaken and blown away by knowing the passion he has for this cause and how it benefits these kids. I would implore any forum member to support this incredible vehicle available to them, not for simply excellent flies at unbeatable prices, but for the ability to contribute to something even greater. Jerry is amazing and although I have never met him personally, yet, I would be proud to tell anyone that he is my friend.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I bought a bunch of bass and pike flies from Jerry and they are beautiful. The little mice are uncanny, my cats thought they were real.

2ltdjorn

Reaction score
Got these in today...

I bought the miracle 2019 box, and added the 2019 streamer box.

May add a bass box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk