Do you get excited too?

coug

Reaction score
I am like a kid about to go to the candy store. I have not bought a single hand rod in years, as I picked up two-hand rods fairly recently (10 years ago) so have saved to buy a new one of those every couple of years. But finally decided to sell a 4wt two-hander I do not use enough then I get to go cast some rods! Looking to replace my old Sage z's in 4 and 5 wt that have been relegated to back-up in the truck. Figured I would get a new 4 or 5 now, then the other in a year or so. I am old enough to get AARP literature, but feel like a little kid! I am sure some of you are more mature about getting a new rod?

ryc72

Reaction score
I get plenty excited. Getting a new rod is lots of fun! savor the process. I try to milk as much fun out of buying a rod as I can. I am always convincing myself that I need to fill in imaginary gaps or need a particular backup in my set of rods. Fished an Exocet ss 350 today and the thing was amazing. Already broke it to my wife that I may have to get one.

sgp

Reaction score
It’s always exciting buying new fly fishing gear, but a new rod is particularly exciting. Trying numerous rods before you find “the one” is a big part of the enjoyment factor.

LePetomane

Reaction score
I have not purchased a fly rod since 2009. I have the right # of rods. What excites me is when I use a rod I haven't used in a while. A few weeks ago I used a rod that has not been used in some time, an 8'3" 5 weight bamboo made by Jim Reams. I was reminded what a powerful but smooth bamboo rod should fish like.

dennyk

Reaction score
My last purchase was a Scott Radian 906FB with the intention to use it for the same chores my 7wt Meridian handled. The 907 Meridian is now doing what my 8 weight used to do, I needed to go a bit lighter due to hand issues. I was pretty excited to put the 906FB through the paces and it did not disappoint. I have it lined up with a 7 wt WF SA Amplitude smooth line and it handles even my larger bass bugs without much effort. All in all I was pretty anxious to get it once it was ordered from Scott. Now I'm excited to see how it handles fall Steelhead and lake run browns!

Works pretty well on bass.
Denny's Bass.jpg

Denny

bumble54

Reaction score
No I don't get exited buying gear of any sort, I get nervous and jittery. "H h h how much?" :eek:. I do however get exited when I get to the lake or river. An old fishing pal, long since passed away, used to say that I was the only person he had ever met that could tackle up, put on waders and start casting all while climbing over a 5 bar gate, a bit of an exaggeration but it showed how keen I was and to a lesser extent still am, you have to make allowances for age. I would now open the gate.:LOL:

proheli

Reaction score
I am like a kid about to go to the candy store... I am sure some of you are MORE MATURE about getting a new rod?
More Mature. Yes, I'm sure that is the way my wife would describe it. lol.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have gotten two new trout rods this season, both were exciting to anticipate and both have proven very popular on our Forum when I've written about them and for the fly fishing community as a whole. Sage Trout LL 8 1/2'/#4 and Douglas SKY-G 9'/#5 have seen abundant water time this spring and summer and much participation among members in our threads.

Now, in the first week of August, I'm planning, conditions permitting, to go up to the River to ply the chill waters within the few miles below the bottom release dam before the weekend. AND, I hope to have two more new rods to take with me if they arrive within teh next couple of days. Another #4, this time a more big river 9' model and another 5-weight and both should be very different in character than my previous new #4 & 5. Also different, rather than popularly known, this pair are of an esoteric nature with European design connections.

Rather than jaded by abundance, I was exuberant over the Sage and Douglas and and super excited about this new brace neither of which I've ever cast. I'll be glancing out the window for the next couple days trying to spy the arrival of a delivery truck.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Just one rod for me this year, well two one is still elusive and rare. I found a 482wt Sage little one, To be honest it doesn't seem any more little than the 8`6' and fast with a divine tip. I was allowed to test before buying which is optimal.

Upon first test I brought a in touch Rio 4DT on a reel, and proceeded to cast almost all the line off the reel in perfect tight loops, every nuance of hand and arm movement translated to the rod and line, and the effortless power, I was excited and then after casting, I was giggling and my hair felt like it was standing on end. Really blown away! Sold

I wasn't going to post but really no one outside of my fly fishing buds understands and I`m just so excited I found this rod, its perfect for my spring creeks and out west as well. So not a brag post, more like I found a winning lotto ticket, those rods can be hard to find and I always wanted a 4wt Sage one and the 8`2" is well the One.

The Sage 486 TLL remains elusive around here, I`m probably going to have to head north into the wild to see a man about a horse, see if we cant work something out. Very excited about casting that rod Sweetandsalt has been Bentundergrowth have been taunting me since inception with excellent reports.

Last edited:

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I haven't bought a rod for a couple years. For trout, I've been fishing my H3 since August '18. I do have my eye on the new Hardy UL rods though.

Also... If one of those older Z's might pop up for sale, please do give me a shout :)

coug

Reaction score
Tough time to buy though, several fly shops have notices that rods such as the NRX+ are out of stock due to COVID impacts on production. We have a great local shop an hour away for two-hand rods, but I will be driving several hours towards Portland to try the rods I am interested in purchasing. Lucky for me I am looking for 490 4 or 5wts, so they still have some of those around in the brands I want to try.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Actually, I was excited for Ukfm's acquisition of gently used Sage Little ONE 8'2"/#4! I have and love my 8 1/2'/#4 ONE so never took the 8'2" seriously until it was gone. In hindsight I have thought perhaps I missed the ball on that ONE. Yes. I have had the good fortune to have scored the 8 1/2'/#4 T LL which is a smaller stream honey but fine as it is, it is not as unique and rarified as the Little ONE.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
I am quite excited to get a new rod. The problem for me has been actually making a decision on one. I'm fence walking all over the place not being able to make a decision haha! GL to you!

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Actually, I was excited for Ukfm's acquisition of gently used Sage Little ONE 8'2"/#4! I have and love my 8 1/2'/#4 ONE so never took the 8'2" seriously until it was gone. In hindsight I have thought perhaps I missed the ball on that ONE. Yes. I have had the good fortune to have scored the 8 1/2'/#4 T LL which is a smaller stream honey but fine as it is, it is not as unique and rarified as the Little ONE.

Thank you, I`ll write a detailed report, eventually but I haven't fished it yet and I can hardly take it, I was going to fish it on my last outing with Itchy but he said no we are going to 5wt water, big browns on big dry flies like up to size 8 man. He was not wrong.

I have taken it to the park a couple times when I was off and enjoyed the casting. Now I`m off furlough and busy back at work, and its perfect weather low 70`s light breeze and partly cloudy.

I dont know if I dig my sage click 345 on it, maybe just a slightly heavier reel, it balances right in front of the cork. Its a nice reel but maybe I`m just too old school and I kinda like the tip level or up a little on the drift.. I haven't really liked that reel on any rod yet, so light. Maybe it should use it on the 2wt, it will balance that. You know its not a deal breaker reel or anything, it just seems a little off on the little one. I originally cast it with my MG3 on it.