Do you use a stripping basket?

ny yankee

Reaction score
I thought about making an inexpensive basket to keep control of the line better. Do you feel a basket is beneficial to the average trout angler?

original cormorant

Reaction score
For trout in a few cases, wading with a sinking line, fishing on a muddy bank, fishing from a bank with scrubby line catching vegetation. So I guess the answer is when I need to but I don't want to be encumbered by one most of the time.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
I use a home made basket for salt. If I used one for trout I would like to try this stipping palette.s-l400.jpg

fr8dog

Reaction score
In the big salt ponds or when I’m sight fishing for gar/carp in the boat. Tried it on the bank but it was a PITA.

thomasw

Reaction score
As a trout stalker, never. Too encumbering. Especially no need if one uses DT lines, as line is mended for the most part, rarely stripped and shot, and so such a gadget becomes even more pointless. I love that about DT lines, little need to strip in a bunch of the running line, just lift and use the line mass to place my fly right back out there. Again this makes a stripping basket redundant.

spm

Reaction score
I have never used a stripping basket, but have been considering using one when fishing farm ponds or lakes from the shore, to keep from getting tangled in the grass, at my feet, since I tend strip-reel most fish.

Thanks,
steve

gadabout

Reaction score
I thought about making an inexpensive basket to keep control of the line better. Do you feel a basket is beneficial to the average trout angler?
No. Unnecessary. Among other things, it will block your view of what your feet are doing. Not a good idea when you’re wading a trout stream. I do use a stripping basket in saltwater, where it does have some benefits.

Line management skill is something that comes with experience. If I see another fisherman on the river, I can judge their experience level without even looking at their casting. I just look at the little triangle between their reel, stripping guide, and stripping hand. How line is managed within that triangle is an honest measure of experience, because surely nobody “practices” that.

skunkedalot

Reaction score
Absolutely- all the time when fishing from shore at a local pond or the salt. The stripping basket helps keep your lines clean . It is invaluable when fishing sinking lines but also for the floating lines you do not want to muck up with shoreline crud such as mud , etc. I use the model that was marketed by LL Bean a few years back (still offered as far as I know) . When I have a fish ready for handlng, I just move the stripping basket out of the way. It also keeps one from stepping all over your line. Never a good thing for an expensive or cheap (for that matter) fly line.
Try it- you will like it.

LOC

Reaction score
The key words in your post is beneficial for a trout angler.

I own two stripping baskets and recently picked up stripping clip.
I use them mainly for the surf. Anytime you need to make long or fast strips while keeping your line off the ground or water (to prevent tangles) you'll probably want to reach for a stripping basket. Basket are also a excellent option in tough environments like standing on a jetty.

For trout fishing you should check out a stripping clip if you just want to keep the line off the ground or grass in a normal trout situation.
They would be fine for fishing a run too if you are making long drifts or swinging the fly and you just need to keep your line from taking off.

That said, for myself being on a river is a lot about aesthetics of the river and experience. I am always trying to keep it as light and simple as possible. Personally I would not use any type of stripping basket for Trout.

There was a thread on the stripping clip, Here's a link.

www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/belt-mounted-line-management-gadget.907686/

Nonno

Reaction score
Nope. I look at that and say, "what the" "why the"? I would think they are useful in some situations, but not the trout fishing I do.

Outside bend

Reaction score
Use one at Pyramid lake to manage intermediate running lines, used one casting from the rock jetties on the Texas coast and sometimes a stripping bucket in my boat fishing lakes with a sinking shooting head setup. Probably necessary wading the surf. Otherwise, not needed.

JoJer

Reaction score
I own one. I made it on the run in Jersey 10+ years ago. I don't remember getting rid of it. It probably got moved 2 years ago when I moved. I don't know where it is. Good thing I haven't needed it. So, no.

Southerncaster

Reaction score
I've never used one and never felt the need -- despite others telling me I need to get one. Just seems like something else to lug along to the river. Perhaps if I fly casted in the surf I'd recognize the need, or maybe not.

desmobob

Reaction score
I wouldn't do my saltwater fishing without one. In the freshwater, I've used one (rarely) while fishing out of boats that were not fly fishing friendly (a million and one things for the line to tangle on).

fatbillybob

Reaction score
The key words in your post is beneficial for a trout angler.

For trout fishing you should check out a stripping clip if you just want to keep the line off the ground or grass in a normal trout situation.
They would be fine for fishing a run too if you are making long drifts or swinging the fly and you just need to keep your line from taking off.
I have my nephew print me a stripping clip. have not tried it yet since I have not been on a trout stream in a while. Have you tried the clip and did you like it? I tried it on the grass at a park. It has potential.

justahack

Reaction score
I use one when fishing ponds and reservoirs from riprap. Also when wade fishing lakes with sinking lines. Sometimes I’m fishing for trout in those situations, but not usually.

LOC

Reaction score
I have my nephew print me a stripping clip. have not tried it yet since I have not been on a trout stream in a while. Have you tried the clip and did you like it? I tried it on the grass at a park. It has potential.
I use mine all the time now. For hardcore fast stripping situations you're still going to have the best results with a basket.

I should note that mine works great but I have it place on top of my hip pack. It works in this position but not so much if I have directly on my hip.
That extra space away from my body makes all the difference placing the line into the clip.