Dollie Flys for Quartz Creek?

marshel

Reaction score
What flies would you recommend for the week of Aug 14th on Quartz Creek for Dollies? My weatherman says it is suppose to storm tomorrow, so no outside work. Thought it may be a good day to do some tying.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm home today myself for a couple more hours. Because I don't use beads and bobbers on fly rods I have always fished that creek using a Nine Three. I will post a picture and advise just getting close as you can.

The catching isn't as hot and heavy as if you were floating a plastic bead beneath a plastic float but I manage to get some nice fish.

Ard's Nine Three;

Quartz Creek Dolly who fell for that fly;

Another Peninsula Char that chased it like a purse snatcher;

Another;

The rainbows will smack the pattern also;

The pictures are a few years old because I don't go down there often but when I do I manage some nice fish. I haven't photographed one for years there I began letting them go without much ceremony over the years.

If you're not sharp on tying feather wings then make some bunny strip leach flies about three inches or so, put some weight on the shank either with a cone or otherwise because some of the cut bank pools are deep and with sockeye in the char will stay away from them. Look to small slough's along the creek with undercut stumps or logs and be sneaky. The char will take cover once the sockeye become aggressive. Get close, stay low fish a short cast, be accurate and keep a sharp eye. I've already taken half a dozen like in those photos from the same slough and they were all sheltering under the same stump. When the fly landed they would come charging out at it so you gotta stay cool and don't jerk it away. If you react in the low clear water they will surely see you and that will be it. I fish those spots on my knees and never set a hook. Let the fish slam the fly and hook itself.

Good luck,

Ard

marshel

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm home today myself for a couple more hours. Because I don't use beads and bobbers on fly rods I have always fished that creek using a Nine Three. I will post a picture and advise just getting close as you can.

The catching isn't as hot and heavy as if you were floating a plastic bead beneath a plastic float but I manage to get some nice fish.

Ard's Nine Three;

If you're not sharp on tying feather wings then make some bunny strip leach flies about three inches or so, put some weight on the shank either with a cone or otherwise because some of the cut bank pools are deep and with sockeye in the char will stay away from them. Look to small slough's along the creek with undercut stumps or logs and be sneaky. The char will take cover once the sockeye become aggressive. Get close, stay low fish a short cast, be accurate and keep a sharp eye. I've already taken half a dozen like in those photos from the same slough and they were all sheltering under the same stump. When the fly landed they would come charging out at it so you gotta stay cool and don't jerk it away. If you react in the low clear water they will surely see you and that will be it. I fish those spots on my knees and never set a hook. Let the fish slam the fly and hook itself.

Good luck,

Ard
Thanks Ard. What size hook for the Nine Three? I actually have the materials to make a reasonable attempt at trying the Nine Three. I have tied some Bunny Leaches for my Naknek trip already. Will have to tie a few smaller ones for Quartz.
I know my sister will have me covered on flies for the trip, but it is funner to catch on something you tied up.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't need the fancy ostrich butt or rib, and they of course will work fine without the jungle cock eyes. I do however recommend the wings be set proper so that fly will undulate and swim like a little sockeye fry.

I believe the hook in the picture and the hooks in those fish is a Daiichi 2370 size 4. You can make them on a six but I like something I can see also when conditions allow for it. Fish can see so much better than we sometimes think and they can pick out even a size ten as it zips along but....... I honestly believe bigger is always better when you are swinging flies.

That creek is rather small and when I fish there I use my old 7'9" Far & Fine five weight and actually make one hand Spey casts and allow the streamers to swing. That is until or unless I find a little nook like I described above. In that case you creep up to get into a good position to make a single accurate cast into the honey hole. Then you either strip the fly to create movement or retract or sweep the rod back to move the fly.

I've caught many of them on Gray Ghost and Dark Spruce patterns also.

That Nine Three has a tinsel body - white deer tail throat - dark olive and black saddle hackles for wings. The topping is optional, it's black Krystal Flash just a few strands which adds some translucent sparkle to the whole thing when wet and swimming.