Double Haul suggestions please

shrimpfly

Reaction score
I am just learning to double haul. I can make the hauls ok and mostly keep my stroke going properly while hauling but not always, still getting coordinated & my loops often suffer when hauling. I definitely see the line speed increase big time when hauling & it is easier to carry more line in the air.

So far I fail to be able to get the slingshot effect I see on videos on my last casting stroke. I’ve tried letting the line loose at different points on the last forward stroke with no appreciable difference. I can make my current max cast of 65’ just as easily not hauling by gradually lengthening the line as I can hauling, don’t seem to be able to get the benefit from hauling yet.

Suggestions appreciated!

Last edited:

osseous

Reaction score
I am just learning to double haul. I can make the hauls ok and mostly keep my stroke going properly while hauling but not always, still getting coordinated & my loops often suffer when hauling. I definitely see the line speed increase big time when hauling & it is easier to carry more line in the air.

So far I fail to be able to get the slingshot effect I see on videos on my last casting stroke. I’ve tried letting the line loose at different points on the last forward stroke with no appreciable difference. I can make my current max cast of 65’ just as easily not hauling by gradually lengthening the line as I can hauling, don’t seem to be able to get the benefit from hauling yet.

Suggestions appreciated!
Without hauling, perform several false casts and then let one of your backcasts fall to the ground. If the line curves in toward you AT ALL- forget about hauling until you correct that. Having that curve robs you of effective stroke length on your delivery. Your haul isn't pulling against the weight of the line, it is just straightening out that curve. Fix that first- you will gain a lot of distance. Then return to learning the haul.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

shrimpfly

Reaction score
Without hauling, perform several false casts and then let one of your backcasts fall to the ground. If the line curves in toward you AT ALL- forget about hauling until you correct that. Having that curve robs you of effective stroke length on your delivery. Your haul isn't pulling against the weight of the line, it is just straightening out that curve. Fix that first- you will gain a lot of distance. Then return to learning the haul.

Excellent tip, really appreciate that! I will check my backcast today.

silver creek

Reaction score
Read my post in the thread below.

As to what osseous said about slack in your backcast, the double haul can still have a benefit. The reason is that the haul REMOVES the slack and your froward cast will benefit from that. I mention this benefit in my post.

shrimpfly

Reaction score

As to what osseous said about slack in your backcast, the double haul can still have a benefit. The reason is that the haul REMOVES the slack and your froward cast will benefit from that. I mention this benefit in my post.

I will check that out, many thanks!

osseous

Reaction score
The most frequent comment I have gotten over 30 years as a casting instructor is that they are finally feeling the rod load when they straighten out their backcast. You can see it on their face- lightbulb moment. That opens up a whole new world of casting options. You can be an outstanding, creative caster without a haul- that is not possible with a curved backcast.

wcoady

Reaction score
Make sure your basic casting stroke is tip top ( no slack, tight loops, good tracking... etc) before learning the double haul. You’ll save yourself some headaches. Lefty Kreh used to say: “Most fisherman use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further.” Funny but true.

Last edited:

shrimpfly

Reaction score

Checked out my backcast as you suggested - line straight every time. I watched a video on using short shooting heads & double hauled the head & 2-3' of running line out the tip, managed to shoot about 25' of running line - personal best. I think it's just a matter of more practice. Thanks again for the tip.

shrimpfly

Reaction score

Will do, thanks!

shrimpfly

Reaction score
Make sure your basic casting stroke is tip top ( no slack, tight loops, good tracking... etc) before learning the double haul. You’ll save yourself some headaches. Lefty Kreh used to say: “Most fisherman use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further.” Funny but true.
Applies to me at this point for sure. I did manage to haul with an Outbound Short today and shoot about 25' of running line straight - just have to keep practicing.

shrimpfly

Reaction score

Great thread, reading it all now, thanks!

shrimpfly

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the information & tips. Checked my backcast as Osseous suggested, all good. Watched the videos & read the thread. Practiced.

Watched a YouTube on casting a shooting head & rigged my Payload with the Outbound Short I had put away. Left the head and about 3' of running line outside the tip & worked on hauling that amount of line while keeping a good stroke. Managed to shoot about 25' of running line nice & straight pretty consistently!

I think it's just going to take more practice now, which is what I find cool about fly fishing after using a spinning rod so long. New skills, new challenges. Great group here, thanks for the help!

shrimpfly

Reaction score
Just a follow up: digested the suggestions here & kept practicing. Getting the double haul sorted out. Have increased my max cast to 80’ & more often now am practicing using single & double hauls to manage my loops & keep just the right amount of energy in the line at various distances, along with improving accuracy. It is so cool! After writing off fly casting as something I’d never learn, I can make predictable casts & haul with tight loops and gentle landings, a great feeling & I’m totally hooked! Now just have to do more fishing. Thanks to all for the great information, good group.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
After writing off fly casting as something I’d never learn, I can make predictable casts & haul with tight loops and gentle landings, a great feeling & I’m totally hooked! Now just have to do more fishing. Thanks to all for the great information, good group.
I wonder what Osseous "the casting instructor" thinks about this: Disclaimer I'm self taught so...

If you activate the underhand you can just about never have to double haul again. This year I've been 90% fishing the surf. Pumping out long cast double haul is great until you get tired. I can underhand all day with almost zero effort and pump out long casts stripping pretty big flys. The outbound short is the perfect line to underhand.

Last edited:

osseous

Reaction score
"The casting instructor" says that two handed rods are highly efficient-

fatbillybob

Reaction score
"The casting instructor" says that two handed rods are highly efficient-

They are amazing tools. I'm not smart enough to keep my techniques separate so
I have been using 2H techniques on single handed rods because I'm old and tire easily.