Double Taper lines....

Chadflys

Reaction score
If I want to try a double taper line, are they all the same? I know the newer lines are very slick, but some may be great without the new high price tags?? Maybe?
Thanks

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
The length of some front tapers are different. Airflo Elite has each on one (kinda cool).

Slickness and durability, likely will improve with $ or just stick to your favourite brand.

old timer

Reaction score
No, they aren't the same. You have modern versions that have more complex longer tapers. Then the old school simple tapers. Then you have different coatings like any line whether DT or WF.

I only use DT lines.

Chadflys

Reaction score
No, they aren't the same. You have modern versions that have more complex longer tapers. Then the old school simple tapers. Then you have different coatings like any line whether DT or WF.

I only use DT lines.
So what’s a good no nonsense DT line you’d recommend. I’ve been reading up on them and it seems there are a lot of advantages for using them. It makes total sense that the more line out the better the rod load, vs on a WF line once you get the head out you digress to some extent. And the mending ability goes to hell.

jayr

Reaction score
An "old school" DT line that does well on more moderate actions and bamboo is the Cortland 444 Peach. I have it on my bamboo rod and it is great.

I think they are still right around $50 or so. Only one end has a welded loop though.

trev

Reaction score
Any of the premium lines will be satisfactory I'm sure. I have used the Cortland 444 Peach for several years, but I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with an SA Mastery DT. because I used SA for many years before I got Cortland. 406 fly lines have a following as do Barrio Mallard.
In addition to the length of taper, some brands might be longer or shorter overall.

Last edited:

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
I really like the SA Mastery DT, agreed. Airflo elite if you like that brand and have lots of room on your reel as the lines are a bit thicker.

I tried a Rio Trout LT DT with a very long front taper. Overlined it was good (like a triangle taper) but very delicate (not for me).

old timer

Reaction score
So what’s a good no nonsense DT line you’d recommend. I’ve been reading up on them and it seems there are a lot of advantages for using them. It makes total sense that the more line out the better the rod load, vs on a WF line once you get the head out you digress to some extent. And the mending ability goes to hell.

I really like silk lines but for plastic I used the Cortland Peach for a long time. Then the 406 lines came out and I like them better than the Peach. He uses old style tapers. The line is true to weight class. The best feature is they're a smaller diameter. This has many advantages. They're also supple, ave small loops on both ends, and are a nice light olive color. The price is also reasonable.

I never leave reviews but you'll see mine on the list of reviews. Pete G

silver creek

Reaction score
If I want to try a double taper line, are they all the same? I know the newer lines are very slick, but some may be great without the new high price tags?? Maybe?
Thanks

You HAVE to examine the taper diagrams and cannot expect DT and WF line from the SAME COMPANY within the SAME fly line NAME to have identical tapers. For example:

Some fly lines will have identical front tapers whether they are a WF or DT line. The Cortland 444 Peach is an example.

But other fly lines from that SAME COMPANY have a different tapers for their WF and DT fly lines. The Cortland 444 SL is an example.

Note the 10 ft, front taper on the 444 SL WF line vs the 8 ft. front taper on the 444 SL DT line. Note also that if you compare the length of the head on the WF 444 SL with the head length on the WF 444 Peach, they differ. The 444 Peach has a 32 ft. head and the 444 SL has 41 ft. head.

So if you a better caster and can carry a longer head than the 444 Peach line, you might want to use the 444 SL. Similarly, the 444 SL with a longer head will allow you to mend at a longer distance when using the WF version of the line compared to the 444 Peach.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I have several DT lines from different manufacturers my most used DT line is the Cortland 444 peach.

On a side note Silver kind of confused me by mixing different lines with different tapers from the same manufacturer along with mixing DT and WF lines in with those descriptions but, perhaps it is my issue.

I would simply point out that if you like the taper on the WF version of the 444 Peach line but want to carry more line etc... then you would just buy the DT version of the 444 Peach line.

Last edited:

thomasw

Reaction score
Hi I use DT lines for the most part, as I find they offer the most precision for 15' - 45' casts -- which is the range of most of my trout fishing. I recommend highly the 406 DT lines. They are manufactured by SA for 406 and so do have the modern coatings. I use the 406 DT lines for 3wt, 4wt and 5wt. trout fishing ... Another last point, the cost of the 406 lines is hard to beat, as for about 70 loonies you get free shipping from 406.

My dear old dad called WF lines "casting lines". He referred to DT lines as "fishing lines". I recommend you check out any of the DT lines recommended and see whether they make a difference in your presentations, e.g., in your fishing :) Also there is the wulff triangle taper... but it is different.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Here's a trickle down technology DT line that is slick ( AST coating ) and won't break the bank.

BTW, 444SL is also stiffer, less supple than the 444 peach - its one reason why the the slow to moderate action guys prefer the peach.

Nonno

Reaction score
Thanks
The taper varies between models, and brands. I don't really have any secret wisdom, or experience on what a taper should be, but my thought is for dry fly presentations I want a long taper. Orvis Hydros DT 6', Cortland 444 Peach DT 8', 406 DT 22" tip, 10' taper. Just some examples.

pati

Reaction score
The Cortland 444 Sylk is also excellent, thinner and with a longer taper than 444 peach. You can however shorten the taper as you see fit for your fishing (it only take a pair of scissors !!!). If you decide to cut the front though, do it in increment, little by little!

I wonder how SA made 406 compare to cortland Sylk?

Nonno

Reaction score
The Cortland 444 Sylk is also excellent, thinner and with a longer taper than 444 peach. You can however shorten the taper as you see fit for your fishing (it only take a pair of scissors !!!). If you decide to cut the front though, do it in increment, little by little!

I wonder how SA made 406 compare to cortland Sylk?
The Sylk looks to be the same as the 406 in 6wt. In weights 2thru 5 the front tapers are 2' shorter on the 406 lines. I just bought both in 6wt, the Sylk for my Bamboo, and the 406 for my glass. I haven't fished either of them yet.

Acheron

Reaction score
Anyone using Blue Halo DT?

melvynsegal

Reaction score
I’m looking for a moderately priced DT4 line, and the Blue Halo is appealing. Does Rio make the line? Are the tapers the same?