Double Taper lines....

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
For moderate price and all purpose taper I like SA Mastery DT. About 8 foot front taper. Airflo Elite is interesting with two different ends.

thomasw

Reaction score
For moderate price and all purpose taper I like SA Mastery DT. About 8 foot front taper. Airflo Elite is interesting with two different ends.
Unfortunately that Airflo Elite doesn't seem to be in production any longer? A shame if so...

There are two options for DT lines which I know are less costly than that SA Mastery DT; the 406 DT lines and, likely the least costly DT I'd consider, the SA Frequency DT for 49$! But I do prefer the thinner end diameter on the 406 lines -- yet they are 20$ loonies more! -- it is fantastic for creating a smooth transitioning needle nail knot out of your leader's butt end.

Nonno

Reaction score
Some interesting notes. I became curious about line weights, and decided to check some my fly lines. I had only used a DT, and a sinking tip fly lines on a Fenwick 8'6" 6wt prior to my hiatus to do some sailing. When I went back to fly fishing my fly shop put a new WF6F without asking. My FF buddy was using a 4wt so I bought a Double L out fit from LL Bean, and that came with a WF4F. I never liked the way I flung those lines. I have since refitted with some DT line in both 4 and 6 wts, plus I've added a 5 wt glass.
I ordered a little digital scale that measures in several weights including grains. It is actually hard to be absolutely precise, so I measured the front 30' and marked with a black Sharpie, then wound that onto an empty fly line spool, that I zeroed the scale with. Here are some results (I'm not done, I still have to weigh my 4wts).
WF6F I think it is SA something 168 gn.
WF4F I think it is also SA it came from LL Bean 147 gn.
DT5F Orvis Hydros 150 gn.
DT6F 444 Peach 171 gn.
DT6F 444 Sylk 149 gn.
DT6F 406 160 gn.
The weights of my other lines
WF5F Rio 156 gn.
DT4F 444 133 gn.
DT4F 406 120 gn.

Last edited:

trev

Reaction score

falcon53

Reaction score
Be aware that some of the entry level DT lines are over weighted. I bought my cousin a Rio Trout DT (39.95) 5wt for his Redington CT and the line was way too heavy for that medium action rod. The line weighed 155gr for the first 30ft. Line was returned. 140gr is standard. the Fly Shop manager was not aware the line was so over weighted. He was just trying to save the beginning angler money during his learning to cast phase but agreed to line was not a good match. Rio is at fault at times also as they obscure this information.

Last edited:

falcon53

Reaction score
No I gave him one of my older Cortland DT peach lines that was still in decent shape. After he gets done beating this one up and his casting improves we will look at another choice. This line seemed slightly overweight but cast much better. But you are right the 4wt version may have been really nice.

Nonno

Reaction score
Thanks for these ... Would love to see any results you have for 4wt lines too.
Keep in mind that it difficult to weigh just the 30' without the rest of the line having some influence on the reading, and it is also difficult to determine the tip if it has one.
The line that came with my LL Bean Double L 4wt outfit. I think it is a SA WF4F 130 grains (the tolerance is +or- 6 grains)
Cortland Peach 444 DT4F 130 grains
406 Fly Lines DT4F 120 GRAINS.

jayr

Reaction score
Keep in mind that it difficult to weigh just the 30' without the rest of the line having some influence on the reading, and it is also difficult to determine the tip if it has one.
The line that came with my LL Bean Double L 4wt outfit. I think it is a SA WF4F 130 grains (the tolerance is +or- 6 grains)
Cortland Peach 444 DT4F 130 grains
406 Fly Lines DT4F 120 GRAINS.

Off of Cortlands web site:

444 PEACH SPEC CHART
FRONT TAPER8 FEET
BODY74 FEET
BACK TAPER8 FEET
SIZE DT3456789
GRAIN WEIGHT100120140160185210240

jayr

Reaction score
Thanks Jay. I've looked at all the taper diagrams for all of the lines I have, or have interest in.
I was pointing out that you have the weight for the Cortland 444 Peach DT4F incorrect. It is indeed 120 grains as opposed to 130 grains.

Nonno

Reaction score
I was pointing out that you have the weight for the Cortland 444 Peach DT4F incorrect. It is indeed 120 grains as opposed to 130 grains.
I weighed both of my Peach DT's, a 4 and a 6 wt. They both weigh 10 grains more than they say.

trev

Reaction score
Not that I'm surprised that lines don't weigh exactly what they should, but to check the scale- a USA penny is supposed to weigh 38.58 gn. - load two or three pennies and divide result,
Length of line changes so easily and quickly that I don't get too concerned about what a particular line weighs or even what number line I'm using at a particular time, if it is within a couple of sizes from the rod's "rating", but I don't cast much and no one is watching when I do.
fwiw, Rio does say that "Mainstream Trout DT" (the $39) line is "slightly heavier" and my guess is that's sales talk for half to full weight heavy,

flav

Reaction score
I don't get all the concern over line weight when it comes to DT lines. The beauty of a DT is they're infinitely adjustable, you can cast with as little or as much line outside your rod tip as you're comfortable with and the taper doesn't change. If you think your 155 grain 5 weight line is 15 grains too heavy, strip in 3 feet and you'll have 140 grains outside your rod tip, problem fixed. Most people don't cast with exactly 30 feet of line outside their rod tip, they strip in or let out line till they find the sweet spot for the rod they're using and their casting stroke.