Drag issue

jwbowen

Reaction score
Hello,
My new Hardy Mtx ultralight’s drag won’t work. No matter how much I turn the drag non, it still doesn’t tighten drag.
Thank you for any guidance.

djfan

Reaction score
I once loaded a reel backwards. Check to see if you can crank the drag all the way down, then turn it like it's reeling in. If it's hard to do that, back the drag all the way off. If it's easy then, you have a reel that needs to be loaded the other direction.

If not, return it.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
The return advice sounds right to me, I have an MTX7000 and based on its construction I see no way for an owner to even examine the drag components. Return the reel after making sure it is faulty.

silver creek

Reaction score
Before you return the reel, do what djfn suggest, especially if you wind the reel with your right hand.

Most reels come from the factory set for a left hand retrieve. If you wind right handed, you may think you are tightening the drag , when you are really loosening the drag.

So tighten the drag one way and turn the spool both ways. Then tighten the drag knob the other way and try turning the spool both ways. Only if you feel no drag at all regardless of the way you turn the spool knob, is the reel then defective.

If you feel a drag, and it is engaged in the wrong direction for the way you wind the reel, then you need to look at the instruction manual for the reel to find out how to reverse the drag mechanism so it engages in the direction of rotation you want.

silver creek

Reaction score
One way it happens is that a right hand retrieve person buys a reel set up for left hand retrieve. They load on the line and fish the reel. Then they want to tighten the drag and they turn the drag knob in the direction that they think should tighten the drag but they are loosening the drag because the drag was never reversed for a right hand retrieve. Since they think they have tightened the drag all way, when they have actually loosened the drag, they think the drag is broken.

So the way you check to see if a drag is functioning is to turn the drag knob all the way clockwise and then wind the reel in BOTH directions. then turn the drag knob counterclockwise and then wind the reel in BOTH directions. Only if there is NO drag in both directions when the drag know is turn against the stop in both direction is the drag broken.

When loading a reel with line, what can go wrong, WILL go wrong for someone sometime!

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure I even see how that can happen, but I'll remember it as a possibility.
Back when trout reels had full cage frames it was a lot harder Trevis, some of these new reels have no real defining features indicating which way is forward. The first guy who suggested it was loaded backward gets a nod because he was right. Thought didn't occur to me because as I said I've never done it.

djfan

Reaction score
Back when trout reels had full cage frames it was a lot harder Trevis, some of these new reels have no real defining features indicating which way is forward. The first guy who suggested it was loaded backward gets a nod because he was right. Thought didn't occur to me because as I said I've never done it.
Glad to help! I guess my mistake keeps on teaching!

original cormorant

Reaction score
I think it may be something to do with a virus. There were recently two similar cases on the UK forum. Don't ask me how!