Drive from PA to WY, fish along the way?

caddis75

Reaction score
I'm still sorting out whether to go out west this summer. Whenever I drive to a fishing spot I often wonder, I bet there's just as good fishing somewhere along the way. So, let's say I have two weeks and want to fish in WY for at least 6 days, on the trip out or back, am I passing or good water/ fish? Just curious. Google has me taking I 80 the whole way. I'm still leaning towards flying, or not going, but the car has that quarantine appeal. I know this involves licenses wherever I stop. I know driving through sounds smart, but I don't know if I can hack that.

Hardscrabble

Reaction score
I’ve been driving out for years. 28 hours driving from Knoxville to Sheridan. I almost always overnight in Sioux Falls. It’s a screamer of a drive.

There are likely hundreds of likely fishing holes along the way, but why over complicate matters. Get there. Stay as long as you can.

caddis75

Reaction score
I’ve been driving out for years. 28 hours driving from Knoxville to Sheridan. I almost always overnight in Sioux Falls. It’s a screamer of a drive.

There are likely hundreds of likely fishing holes along the way, but why over complicate matters. Get there. Stay as long as you can.
28 years. Man. Sioux falls is about 21 hours from me.

caddis75

Reaction score
Hey all, thanks for the ideas. Still sketching out vacation dates, fly vs drive, and stuff. Stopping to fish the driftless and black hills sounds appealing for sure. It's 16 hours from here to the Driftless. Driving solo, I probably need to find a way to split that up, maybe camp for the night somewhere.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
So, let's say I have two weeks and want to fish in WY for at least 6 days
From everything I've read and heard about the Driftless it's terrific. But if what you want to do is fish in Wyoming for at least 6 days, I would head straight there via the most direct route. Looking at Google maps, it looks like your drive via 80 would take 29-30 hours of actual driving time. And it sounds like you're not into driving all day (totally understandable), and so you're probably looking at 3 days just to get there and another 3 to get back. Even if you could do it in two, I doubt you'd get in much fishing your first day there--tired from the drive, wanting to get settled, check out a local fly shop to get the lay of the land, etc. Same goes for the return trip, whether the next day would be back to work or whatever.

Anyways, assuming your round trip drive takes all or part of 6 days, you've got 8 full days left. But it also sounds like you want to move at least once in Wyoming, so that's another day of not fishing, at least not the whole day, so now down to 7.

I'm not familiar with the fishing in all of the states you'd be passing through, but if you're focused on trout, I would think the fishing is better in Pennsylvania and Wyoming than anywhere in between along 80. If you want to check out the Driftless for a couple of days and spend less time in Wyoming, then fine, that could still be a great trip. But if your focus is Wyoming, then I would drive as long as possible each day, rest up and get settled and then look forward to 6-7 days of fishing. Just my two cents.

Good luck.

caddis75

Reaction score
From everything I've read and heard about the Driftless it's terrific. But if what you want to do is fish in Wyoming for at least 6 days, I would head straight there via the most direct route. Looking at Google maps, it looks like your drive via 80 would take 29-30 hours of actual driving time. And it sounds like you're not into driving all day (totally understandable), and so you're probably looking at 3 days just to get there and another 3 to get back. Even if you could do it in two, I doubt you'd get in much fishing your first day there--tired from the drive, wanting to get settled, check out a local fly shop to get the lay of the land, etc. Same goes for the return trip, whether the next day would be back to work or whatever.

Anyways, assuming your round trip drive takes all or part of 6 days, you've got 8 full days left. But it also sounds like you want to move at least once in Wyoming, so that's another day of not fishing, at least not the whole day, so now down to 7.

I'm not familiar with the fishing in all of the states you'd be passing through, but if you're focused on trout, I would think the fishing is better in Pennsylvania and Wyoming than anywhere in between along 80. If you want to check out the Driftless for a couple of days and spend less time in Wyoming, then fine, that could still be a great trip. But if your focus is Wyoming, then I would drive as long as possible each day, rest up and get settled and then look forward to 6-7 days of fishing. Just my two cents.

Good luck.

I definitely prefer to wander than say power through a 20-hour drive. I gotta clear this with the wife, and flying would definitely decrease the time. Let's say I drive to Chicago-ish on 6/25, drive to the driftless on 6/26, fish 6/27, drive to the Black Hills on 6/28, fish 6/29, drive to SW Wyoming on 6/30, fish 7/1, 7/2, 7/3, 7/4, 7/5, 7/6, 7/7, drive to the Black Hills on 7/8, drive to the driftless area on 7/9, Drive to Chicago on 7/19, and drive to PA on 7/10. I could shorten the drive back maybe by a day or so. This seems like a lot, we will see.

Fauxtog

Reaction score
I second that. Grew up fishing there, and it's incredible. I miss it terribly with all these western "private water" BS rules. Check it out, you'll be glad you did. I think I read somewhere that SE MN has more miles of trout water than MT...

jjcm

Reaction score
What is a decent fly shop in SW Wisconsin/SE Minesota?
Driftless Angler