Dubbing tools

strykerdm

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm a new fly tier and have been trying at tying some hare ear nymphs and similar patterns. Would dubbing tools help with this? Or what method would be best for nymph dubbing? I've never used wax. For now, I just moisten the thread and apply some dubbing with my fingers. Any tips would be appreciated.

tail of the pool

Reaction score
I must be old school, Dr Slick single hook dubbing tool, build a loop dub and whala good to go...Just a hint as a new tyer, select the dubbing you think you need then take half and dub your hook:wiggle::wiggle:

craigthor

Reaction score
Spin some dubbing on and wrap, you can use a dubbing brush, tooth brush, light wire brush or a piece of velcro to brush it out.

s fontinalis

Reaction score
most problems with dubbing arise from two causes.

1 Too much fur
2 not locking in the initial twists - this can be done simply by dubbing a bit of fur then wrapping the it on until the fibers are starting to form the body, this locks the dubbing and allows for more to be dubbed on without it all twisting.

gr8outdoorz

Reaction score
For buggy patterns like the GRHE I use a dubbing loop spun tightly. It locks the dubbing in & gives it a nice buggy look IMHO.

As for brushing dubbing out, take a popsicle stick and glue a piece of velcro (the hook side) to one end. Makes a good brush.

Carlton

williamhj

Reaction score
Just discovered the dubbing loop method last week and really like the results. I bought a dubbing loop tool for a couple bucks, but it really wasn't required.
I have a dubbing tool but find my hackle pliers to be more effective personally. Smaller, grip the thread well, easy to spin around...

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I have a dubbing tool but find my hackle pliers to be more effective personally. Smaller, grip the thread well, easy to spin around...
The tool I bought for three bucks centers itself instantly. Only advantage it seemed to offer over my hackle pliers. Though a bit slower I could get similar results with a paperclip. I liked the dubbing loop on larger dubbing tasks. It's the bomb for spinning a durable simi-seal leech body.

Last edited:

JoJer

Reaction score
As for brushing dubbing out, take a popsicle stick and glue a piece of velcro (the hook side) to one end. Makes a good brush.

Carlton
You can buy 1/2" wide adhesive-backed Velcro, trim it to a point and wrap it around a sharpened 1/8" dowel and have a dubbing picker that will fit between hook point and shaft of any fly down to about #20.

silver creek

Reaction score
This is the fastest and easiest dubbing twister that I have found. It has ball bearings and is machined so it is amazingly fast and smooth. No more Shepherd's Crook and sinker weight for me.

After I watched Gary using it, I got one for myself. Notice that he has modified his by cutting off a side of the arm so the loop stays closed and the single arm slips off the closed loop easily.

Modified by Gary

Original

Gary Borger » Blog Archive » Turbo Dubbing Twister

Reviews, Tying Tools, Turbo dubbing twister - Global FlyFisher

Available at Feather-Craft Fly Fishing

Another way to dub shaggy nymphs is to use a dubbing block to make dubbing brushes. I bought my block from Jim Smith who made on for me for $25.

Then use the dubbing brush to wrap nymph patterns.

» Dubbing Brush Nymph - Fly Fishing & Fly Tying Information Resource

Fly Tying: Dubbing Brushes | SwittersB & Fly Fishing

Last edited:

craigthor

Reaction score
Another way to dub shaggy nymphs is to use a dubbing block to make dubbing brushes. I bought my block from Jim Smith who made on for me for $25.

Then use the dubbing brush to wrap nymph patterns.

» Dubbing Brush Nymph - Fly Fishing & Fly Tying Information Resource

Fly Tying: Dubbing Brushes | SwittersB & Fly Fishing

That's awesome I need me one of these toys. :thumbsupu

There is also a new version from Jan available that is even smaller: http://shop.siman.cz/_tsb2.htm