Dyeing with acid dyes

s fontinalis

Reaction score
In a fly shop you'll never see it, you got to get good natural light, bright day, but not to bought. This was taken inside, under a shaded window

s fontinalis

Reaction score
I would say the closest, but not close enough to the original, would be Silver Grey #638.

I think you'd have to play around with mixtures, and likely for quite a while, in order to achieve the natural color of the pheasant rump feathers...

airborne 82nd

Reaction score
Wow ! I'm inspired I'm thinking I can do this , question if you dye barred Hackle ,does the " Barring" hold through the dying process ? Honestly the biggest fear I have is making a mess and staining somthing my woman would kill me lol. Thanks for this post it's very helpful.
Airborne

fshng2

Reaction score
Great article.
I have used Fly Dye from Lure Parts Online with good results.
I add white vinegar about 20 min into the process.

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

Wow ! I'm inspired I'm thinking I can do this , question if you dye barred Hackle ,does the " Barring" hold through the dying process ? Honestly the biggest fear I have is making a mess and staining somthing my woman would kill me lol. Thanks for this post it's very helpful.
Airborne
No worry, Barred Hackle will still be barred when done.
Best to do outside or in the garage to eliminate the mess.
I do it outside and use my camp stove so everyone is happy.

s fontinalis

Reaction score
Last edited:

fshng2

Reaction score
Is it possible to re-set a dyed material once it has been dyed?
I have some maribou feathers that bleed.
Can I put them in water with white vinegar, then heat them to set the eye and prevent further bleeding?

s fontinalis

Reaction score
it might work. I'm no expert, but the acid is needed for the dye to enter the feather fibers, could be that just washing the feathers will wash off the stuff thats on the surface, what you see as bleeding - they may not have been properly cleaned off after dyeing and what you're seeing is residual dye on the outside.
Its a popular misconception that the acid is to set the dye - it just facilitates the entry of the dye into the materials.

Wash them off, see how it looks - the water should run clear. For sure, it wont take the color out of the fibers.

fshng2

Reaction score
The dye does come out when I washed the feathers with soap & water, and the color doesn't change which is a +.
Because I bought the marabou from hareline I didn't think they would bleed. I guess anything that is dyed is guilty until proven innocent.
Looks like washing is the way to go.

s fontinalis

Reaction score
Yeah - they're probably well dyed, just not washed adequately!

Hareline are one of the more reputable dealers in terms of quality of materials.