Early Spring Camping near Viroqua?

FIB in WI

Reaction score
Already getting the itch with the season opener in sight. Had been looking at my usual haunts where I camp and realized they don't open until 4/15. Know of any places open for camping earlier than that in the Viroqua area? I probably won't even make it to the area until a warm weekend in March. The usual deal of driving up Friday night, set up a tent or two in the dark, and fish Saturday and Sunday. I'm thinking I might be stuck with a cabin should I have the opportunity to get up there early in the year.

Thanks,
FIB In WI

dpnoll48

Reaction score
I do love your moniker. If you're going up that early a motel might be a better. I quite often stay at the Central Express Inn. It's on the eastern side of town along with a gas station and restaurant. Not fancy but very reasonable.

Reaction score
If you want to gut out winter camping, give the Westby Rod & Gun Club a call. Their campgrounds are located right on the headwaters of the Timber Coulee just a short drive from Viroqua. There's also a ski jump hill, shooting range, a small golf course (open in the warmer months) and a bar and grill next door. There are a dozen top Trout streams within a few miles of the campground.

Good luck!
-Bill

Edit: the campground is just West of the town of Westby on Hwy P, located here. The clubhouse bar & restaurant is located in Westby at: 215 S Main Street.

Last edited:

FIB in WI

Reaction score
I do love your moniker. If you're going up that early a motel might be a better. I quite often stay at the Central Express Inn. It's on the eastern side of town along with a gas station and restaurant. Not fancy but very reasonable.
Ha, the moniker is just for fun. Thanks for the recommendation, I see it's in Westby. I had also seen one or two motels in Viroqua as well when driving along 14 north of the downtown. I do like camping for the "full experience" in my mind and I've got the gear for the weather but the more options the better.

FIB in WI

Reaction score
If you want to gut out winter camping, give the Westby Rod & Gun Club a call. Their campgrounds are located right on the headwaters of the Timber Coulee just a short drive from Viroqua. There's also a ski jump hill, shooting range, a small golf course (open in the warmer months) and a bar and grill next door. There are a dozen top Trout streams within a few miles of the campground.

Good luck!
-Bill

Edit: the campground is just West of the town of Westby on Hwy P, located here. The clubhouse bar & restaurant is located in Westby at: 215 S Main Street.
Thanks Bill. This was the one place I saw while looking Thursday night that I thought might be open in the area and I do love the Coulees. I've passed by their campground before as the ski jump hill caught my attention. When the time gets near, I will be giving them a call first. I think one of the limiting factors to early season camping will be whether or not they've turned on their water. To avoid pipes bursting, a lot of the campgrounds have their water shut off. I saw some state park campgrounds in WI allow winter camping but with that one caveat.

weiliwen

Reaction score
I've stayed at the campground, there - it's very nice, and just keep heading down the road a few miles where the river gets a bit bigger (you actually ford the river getting to the campground).

FIB in WI

Reaction score
Esofea County Park, Sidie Hollow, and then you also have the kickapoo reserve which has rustic camping.
Did Esofea twice this past summer, great place, but doesn't open until 4/15. Forgot about the rustic camping on the Kickapoo Reserve. I will be looking into those as another option.