Easy to carry in...

desmobob

Reaction score
I just packed my Wilderness Lite Backpacker Pro float tube into its bag. It's about 7" diameter by 15" long and under four pounds. My Orvis Silver Sonic stocking foot waders, lightweight soft-soled neoprene booties, Force fins, small chest pack, reel and three spools, small pump for the tube, snacks and hydration bladder all fit in my Mystery Ranch Scree daypack. I'll carry the float tube and rod case in one hand and my trekking pole in the other to make the two-mile hike to a small lake tomorrow. I don't think the whole load weighs more than 15lbs.

The famous Adirondack Black Flies are just starting to hatch so I need to get my back woods fishing done soon! I haven't fished this lake in more than a dozen years. In the past, I've caught brook trout, yellow perch, largemouth bass and pumpkinseed sunfish there.

5-6-21 05 copy.jpg

desmobob

Reaction score
Here's the whole deal... tube, trekking pole, rod case, and pack:

5-11-21 float tubing.jpg

It ended up getting very windy. I fished until around 12:30 and headed back. I was freezing. I knew my old waders are leaky... I had been experiencing wet feet when fishing out of my FatCat and Raptor. I forgot that only my legs are in the water in those two, while I'm sitting in the water in my Backpacker Pro. After four hours, my left bootie was full of water and I was wet all the way up to my belt line on the right side. 😬 I did have the forethought to bring along a change of socks, thank goodness. My pants were Nylon, so they dried quickly on the hike out.

I caught a lot of fish. I used small beadhead leech patterns in green or brown. Any time I got over a weed bed, I hooked up with largemouth bass or nice-sized yellow perch on almost every cast. I was surprised that the largemouths all slugged it out down deep. I was sure the first few were trout and was surprised to see green. They all fought deep. (Water temp was about 55˚ at the surface.) No trout on this trip.

5-11-21 float tubing_01.jpg

robtmitchell

Reaction score
Thanks for the report and packable details. I packed in my outcast fat cat tube into a trophy regulations lake last year and really enjoyed the outing. I strapped mine to a frame pack on the outside and packed the other items inside. It was definitely a little heavy and bulky compared to your set up. I did look at those tubes and may buy one. I did not realize you sit in the water more. I checked with outcast and it seems like they discontinued the existing pack tube and may come out with another model but they had no definite date yet so it seems Wilderness Lite is the best bet for a lighter tube.
This is definitely an activity I would like to do more of this summer and I have some other lakes selected already.
I have already started some trial hill running with my cycling to be more prepared for hiking in the mountains with a pack.

How was the mini pump?
Does the tube seem robust enough with it being so light?

Rob

desmobob

Reaction score
I'm a big guy 6'2" 260lbs. and the tube feels sturdy enough. I tend to slide forward on the seat after a bit of fishing, but no big deal. The mini-pump works surprisingly well but is not reliable/dependable. Buy a backup... they're cheap on the big auction site.

Forgive me if I don't reply again... I'm on Cape Cod, striper fishing for a couple of weeks.