Epic Fly Rod Building Kit Inquiry

dswice

Reaction score
Has anyone built an Epic rod using the Epic rod building kit? I've never fished or owned an Epic glass rod, but I'm intrigued by their FastGlass 4wt. and it appears that you can build one (using their provided materials) for a good bit less than you can buy a factory completed rod. Are the components in the build kit good quality or would you substitute any for something better/different? Also, would this rod (4wt, 7'6") fish the habitat in North Carolina mountain streams and small rivers well? The reviews I've read on Epic products are mostly positive, but any feedback you have from experience with their rods and/or build kits is appreciated.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I have built a couple. Quality components and excellent rods. My 580 fastglass 2 has quickly become a favorite. Although I didn't build that one. The two I built were both gifts.
El Jefe has built a few. His high praise of them hooked me on Epic.

Last edited:

el jefe

Reaction score
The kits come with very high quality components, though they do vary over time (by manufacturer). The only thing I modified on my Epic 476 is that I added a winding check, and changed out the stripping guide that came with the kit to a Fuji SiC stripper. The kit came with Snake Brand Universal guides. I would email them to see what the current composition of the kit is; they will email you back pretty quickly, though you have to account for the fact that they are in New Zealand, so there can be a delay of a couple of days if you email on certain days. Even if you change out everything but the grip and reel seat, you are way ahead. Building one is the deal of the century. They are awesome rods, designed by a top fly caster and fisherman.

I've never fished in NC, but I fish the 476 on small to medium streams out west, and I've read here on this forum that one guy has fished his on the San Juan. I think it fishes well up and down from its line size. A very versatile rod, if a 7'6" rod can be versatile. It will even deal with a little bit of wind, but it isn't suited to a gale.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
The kits come with very high quality components, though they do vary over time (by manufacturer). The only thing I modified on my Epic 476 is that I added a winding check, and changed out the stripping guide that came with the kit to a Fuji SiC stripper. The kit came with Snake Brand Universal guides. I would email them to see what the current composition of the kit is; they will email you back pretty quickly, though you have to account for the fact that they are in New Zealand, so there can be a delay of a couple of days if you email on certain days. Even if you change out everything but the grip and reel seat, you are way ahead. Building one is the deal of the century. They are awesome rods, designed by a top fly caster and fisherman.

I've never fished in NC, but I fish the 476 on small to medium streams out west, and I've read here on this forum that one guy has fished his on the San Juan. I think it fishes well up and down from its line size. A very versatile rod, if a 7'6" rod can be versatile. It will even deal with a little bit of wind, but it isn't suited to a gale.
Do you mind sending me that rod so that I can see for myself ? I'll return it , I promise , scouts honor and all that stuff ! lol

A8Bil

Reaction score
I've built 2 Epic...kits are high quality, but you can always just by the blank and buy your own parts. I'm doing that now on another build, but I won't end up kitting it out for less than Epic sells the whole kit. I'm just doing it to customize.