Esopus and environs 2020 edition

gary_a_gooner

Reaction score
I'll be up in Big Indian for a short mid-week trip during the first week of Oct. (my wife needs to fight a speeding ticket from July 4th). Crossing my fingers for even more improved conditions in 3 weeks. May also try to squeeze in a trip to the Housy in the next few weeks as well.

lookard

Reaction score
I was at Esopus last Saturday. Fished at 3 spots. Did really well at a spot near Phoenecia. Later, I went to Woodland valley. There was a section of water that was tampered with by some people. They lined up really huge stones and formed a high un-passable dam (take it with a pinch of salt, it was unpassble at the current water flows). Nature would probably blow it out eventually, but I did my best to remove the stones. But man, the size of some of stones you'd need two people to move. Hopefully, there aren't more dams at other sections.

Later, I went to the cemetery section. The water was very murky. I tried hot spot nymphs before trying to swing streamers. Didn't manage to temp any trout there.

Overall, had a great time on this river!

patrick62

Reaction score
Went Tuesday afternoon, returned this afternoon (Friday).

Fished several spots on Esopus -- DIsneyland, Mt Tremper, Herdman Road. Lots of iso and stonefly shucks, trout were mostly ignoring them, even at the crack of dawn and at dusk. Very strange.

Water was not as cold as you might think. Green murky (as opposed to brown murky).

Managed a few rainbows and a couple of browns over the trip, but it was hard work and not what I was expecting. I think the river needs a serious barometric jerk to get the trout livened up some.

On the plus side there weren't too many mouse turds at the house and I didn't fall in.

patrick62

Reaction score
A quick trip Friday and Saturday, Oct. 10-11. Managed a couple of browns above the Portal and bupkis in the main river. It was very crowded Saturday.

I tried a little of everything.

Buddy got a couple of silver bullets on a little orange soft hackle.

Disappointing but the weather was glorious and I got a lot done around the house.

One more trip before I close it up.

gary_a_gooner

Reaction score
Think conditions will hold up for a trip first week of Nov.? I was there in the middle of last week and landed a few browns and hooked a nice rainbow.

patrick62

Reaction score
^ I'd say yes. Even if the flow is on the low side, the water is cold. I've had considerable success in late October-early November. Plus the chilly weather tends to discourage people.

gary_a_gooner

Reaction score
Thanks. Hoping to hit up the Housy Saturday, but there's rain overnight so not sure how the water will be. We'll see.

jmckinl1

Reaction score
Hit the E on Friday afternoon from 1-5p. Light drizzle and mid 50s kept almost everyone away which was fantastic!! Only saw one other fisherman in the entire stretch from chimney to the bridge. Nymphed for a while and caught quite a few rainbows in the 10" range. When the drizzle let up a bit, small olives would start popping and the little silver bullets would go crazy for 10-15 minutes, then go down until the next let up. I know they are not huge, but it was a lot of fun tying on a 18-20 BWO dry and picking off extremely aggressive and acrobatic 6-8" fish.

Nothing big and not a brown to be seen, but a lot of fun having the river practically to myself and, even in the rain, the foliage and setting was amazing.

patrick62

Reaction score
^ That sounds good

I'm heading over for Wednesday and Thursday, and closing up the camp. (Sob.) I could theoretically let it go, but with the election looming I am going to be super-busy at the paper and I don't want the pipes to freeze, so...

Time to be realistic.

patrick62

Reaction score
Well the weather and scenery were nice...

I managed a few browns above the portal and a few bows below but it was mighty slow. Lots of anglers out, especially at Disneyland.

On the plus side I moved the needle in my annual battle with specks. I tried Bozeman Flyworks x-rated fluoro tippet and got some results with the 6x and a size 22 Barr's emerger.

That's a wrap for the Esopus in 2020 I think, unless something dramatic happens. It's just far enough away (90 minutes) to make day trips unappealing.