Esopus and environs 2020 edition

gary_a_gooner

Reaction score
I'll be up in Big Indian for a short mid-week trip during the first week of Oct. (my wife needs to fight a speeding ticket from July 4th). Crossing my fingers for even more improved conditions in 3 weeks. May also try to squeeze in a trip to the Housy in the next few weeks as well.

lookard

Reaction score
I was at Esopus last Saturday. Fished at 3 spots. Did really well at a spot near Phoenecia. Later, I went to Woodland valley. There was a section of water that was tampered with by some people. They lined up really huge stones and formed a high un-passable dam (take it with a pinch of salt, it was unpassble at the current water flows). Nature would probably blow it out eventually, but I did my best to remove the stones. But man, the size of some of stones you'd need two people to move. Hopefully, there aren't more dams at other sections.

Later, I went to the cemetery section. The water was very murky. I tried hot spot nymphs before trying to swing streamers. Didn't manage to temp any trout there.

Overall, had a great time on this river!

patrick62

Reaction score
Went Tuesday afternoon, returned this afternoon (Friday).

Fished several spots on Esopus -- DIsneyland, Mt Tremper, Herdman Road. Lots of iso and stonefly shucks, trout were mostly ignoring them, even at the crack of dawn and at dusk. Very strange.

Water was not as cold as you might think. Green murky (as opposed to brown murky).

Managed a few rainbows and a couple of browns over the trip, but it was hard work and not what I was expecting. I think the river needs a serious barometric jerk to get the trout livened up some.

On the plus side there weren't too many mouse turds at the house and I didn't fall in.