Esopus watershed 2021

okaloosa

Reaction score
last time I saw that view was 42 years ago but if memory serves me right that looks pretty low......

RockNRiffle57

Reaction score
I saw they may change the regulations as well. Is it going to possibly take effect in 2024? Or did I misread that?

patrick62

Reaction score
So you thought 2020 was bad...

There's a proposal to build an underground power generation facility on Ashokan Reservoir property. And another reservoir to power the thing.

I bet the city will have something to say about this, for starters.

It sounds insane to me.

patrick62

Reaction score
NY has a lot of regulation changes, including a no-kill season from mid-October to the end of March.

Overview: https://news.yahoo.com/statewide-trout-management-plan-fishing-120100697.html

I am 99% sure that brown trout will no longer be stocked in the Esopus, and the river will be managed for wild rainbows, but there are subtleties I have not yet mastered. But that seems to be the general idea..

There is also a DEC interactive trout map thing, which on first glance is highly confusing -- I mean "intuitive."

Last edited:

patrick62

Reaction score

jmckinl1

Reaction score
Took a couple of days off last week to visit family in the area and get some opening week fishing in. Though the water was still coming down and a little chalky, managed to time the weather perfectly. Over 2 days of fishing the Esopus, managed a good number of bows ranging from 10-16" and only found 2 browns. But one of those browns happened to be the type of fish I have been looking for in the 12+ years I have fished this river. After thinking i snagged on a rock, the fight began and consisted of dangerous rock hopping and crawling/chasing down stream. After the fish finally came to net, it was a solid stunning male with a slight kype that measured 23", and guessing bang on the 4lb mark. Kept him in the water and he had plenty of energy to spare. A very brief hold and off he went with a quick splash from the tail.