Euro nymph fly line to euro leader?

Bgregist

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just now getting in on the Euro craze. I traded an old glass rod for a Greys Streamflex XF2 10' 3wt. Through some research, I purchased a SA Comp Nymph line and Rio Technical Euro leader. The leader from Rio comes with a factory perfection loop however the fly line does not have a loop at all. Should I be snipping the loop of the Rio euro leader and doing a nail knot there to the fly line? Thanks!

trev

Reaction score
I always cut loops off and use knots, but as small as that line is I'd likely use a blood knot (or double surgeon) rather than a nail knot; so I'll watch this and see what the experts say. It has never made sense to me to taper stuff down real fine and then put in a whopping big double loop connection and this would be especially true when holding all the line off the water, but what do I know.

smilingduck

Reaction score

This is the best for euro nymphing no knot so it has no issues going thru guides. I really like this and have had no issues.
Tight lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bgregist

Reaction score
Tie a perfection loop on your fly line .
thanks everyone. I've read the loop to loop is a no go because of the frequency of that section going and out of the guides. Concerning when hooked up coming back in, especially on light tippet with a 20" fish

trev

Reaction score
Since no experts are jumping in, having thought about this, I'd use either a double uni knot or a double nail knot, then I might coat the connection with a flexible glue or UV resin to smooth it. however I found these videos showing you how to strip the coating from the mono core and use a blood knot
video
VID#2

tsmervis

Reaction score
With the mono core euroline strip the last couple of inches of coating off of the line exposing a few inches of the mono core; then tie a uniknot with the exposed mono core and the leader butt (after you remove the perfection loop). Finish off by coating knot with UV sense so it slides through the guides easy