Euro nymphing strategy on streams where the conditions change around every bend

Cheyneskeezer

Reaction score
Simply put, this is a run where an indicator is the correct tool.

Can you do it with EN? Absolutely! I can also hammer a screw into wood, but prefer to use a screwdriver ;) :D

I believe this is most commonly caused by leading the flies too much, causing them to be pulled back toward the rod tip. You are trying to match the speed of the current with the rod tip to allow the flies to flow with the current and not be pulled towards the rod tip.

I recommend checking out the French nymphing technique to possibly help.
Great analogy!!!

Lamarsh

Reaction score
, but if on a smaller stream, you could basically have 12-18" of water in a channel at times, and pools that get 6-8" deep
Is it viable to use ESN methods in these conditions?
It's not only perfectly viable, it's arguably the most effective way to nymph waters like this. Before I got into ESN, I would ignore those small buckets and divots in the river (areas where it was about 6-8" deep, but with a small pocket trench about 6-10' long and 12-18" deep. With ESN, I started picking off these lies as I entered the river, working my way through them on my way to the larger pool or run. I very frequently pick up fish in them.

As far as adjusting your rig for changing conditions, you have a few choices. If it's small adjustments in depth, my advice is to tie your length of tippet below your sighter to accommodate what you think would be the deepest spot, and when it's shallower just run your sigher / bunny ears a bit higher. You can run your sigher higher above the water, but you want to avoid letting it go below the water, which is why I advise setting your tippet length to about the deepest you expect.

While the above recommendation is the easiest way to go about it without having to change your rig a lot, you will have to change it sometimes. ESN does require a bit of a tippet material investment. You'll go through a lot of 6x if you're doing it right. I find I am chewing through tippet more because I switch flies (changing weight) very often and shorten my tippets that way, rather than changing tippet due to depth (unless I encounter a spot that is too deep for my tippet length).

One thing I love doing when ESN fishing is switching between nymphing and tight lining a euro jig streamer. When I do this, I prefer 4x, so I do switch my tippet rigs. I wind the tippet rig I'm taking off onto a foam disk, flies and all, and just swap them out. I like to nymph a long run or pool first, then go back through it with the streamer, as opposed to fishing an entire beat with one method, then switching and doing the entire beat all over again with a different method.

As far as rod length goes, I think a 10' 2wt would be great for those small streams, but be aware that you might be surprised how usable an 11' 3wt is on smaller waters.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
I may have just purchased a rod (T&T 1093) and so I guess I need to see about a reel
Great rod choice. If you haven't looked at it already, T&T's website has reel weight recommendations for all its Contact 2 models.

mjm6

Reaction score
I'm thinking of the Danielsson DryFly reel for the T&T rod. It's possibly a little light but I could remedy that easily, and in all other respects it seems to check all the boxes to be a good ESN reel. As a bonus, it doesn't have a pawl clicker in it, so it is mostly a quiet operation, unlike a lot of other reels.

I can get it and a spare spool for about $250 and then I'll be in good shape for whatever eventualities that may occur on the water. That's about the price of a spare spool for the Sage or Galvan...

One question... T&T recommends a WF3F line for overhead line weight. I presume they mean when not using the line as a ESN setup but when trying to float some dry flies. Anyone using a WF4F? That's what I was anticipating using and I have a spare line here I could use for that. It'll load the rod deeper, but I don't anticipate any real issues with that. If anyone has specific info to not bother trying, I'll go that route.