Expectations Were Exceeded: Final Installment.

myt1

Reaction score
Besides the rafting trip detailed in a previous trip report, this was the other major destination of my month long odyssey.

I arrived the Thursday before Fourth of July weekend, and as it turned out all my angst worrying if I would get a nice campsite was unwarranted. In fact, the campground never filled; although at the peak of the crowdedness all the good sites were taken.

I saw a couple of moose, or is it mooses, crossing the river as I drove up to the campground.
P7011387 (2).JPG

I managed to score the best campsite of my trip. My tent was in full shade all day long; perfect for my naps.
P7041411.JPG

The road ends at the campground and upstream from there it is designated "scenic and wild", and it definitely was. For four days I hiked upstream anywhere from 30 minutes to over an hour before fishing. I managed to catch nice fish every day.

Like the other places I visited, this place was friggin' beautiful.
P7021389.JPG
P7021390.JPG

I caught most of my fish on dry flies, but I couldn't help but notice that there were stonefly skins everywhere along the river bank. On the last day I decided to try nymphing with some stonefly nymphs. On my second drift I caught the largest fish of my entire trip, a 16 inch Westslope Cuttthroat. Previously I had caught some 14 and 15 inchers on dry flies.

My largest fish and where I caught it. Against the right hand bank it was a few feet deep.
P7051421.JPG
P7031402.JPG

Fish really weren't rising, but they would swim to the surface to take a dry fly. I didn't have much luck catching fish in the long riffles, but if the current slowed that is where the fish usually were.

This was another great spot, but when I returned to fish there a second day someone was camping in the area. Truly a beautiful spot and where I caught my second largest fish.
P7021396.JPG
P7041410.JPG

Well, that's it for this year. I'm already starting to day dream about next year.

Cheers, Rick

P.S. Does anyone have an idea what type of fish this is?...sorry for the bad pictures.
It has a definite V shaped tail and the top half is green with black spots and the bottom half is white to silver, maybe a little pink. I'm guessing it is some sort of
hybrid.

P7051422.JPG
P7051423.JPG

triocd

Reaction score
Besides the rafting trip detailed in a previous trip report, this was the other major destination of my month long odyssey.

I arrived the Thursday before Fourth of July weekend, and as it turned out all my angst worrying if I would get a nice campsite was unwarranted. In fact, the campground never filled; although at the peak of the crowdedness all the good sites were taken.

I saw a couple of moose, or is it mooses, crossing the river as I drove up to the campground.
View attachment 38475

I managed to score the best campsite of my trip. My tent was in full shade all day long; perfect for my naps.
View attachment 38476

The road ends at the campground and upstream from there it is designated "scenic and wild", and it definitely was. For four days I hiked upstream anywhere from 30 minutes to over an hour before fishing. I managed to catch nice fish every day.

Like the other places I visited, this place was friggin' beautiful.
View attachment 38477
View attachment 38478

I caught most of my fish on dry flies, but I couldn't help but notice that there were stonefly skins everywhere along the river bank. On the last day I decided to try nymphing with some stonefly nymphs. On my second drift I caught the largest fish of my entire trip, a 16 inch Westslope Cuttthroat. Previously I had caught some 14 and 15 inchers on dry flies.

My largest fish and where I caught it. Against the right hand bank it was a few feet deep.
View attachment 38479
View attachment 38485

Fish really weren't rising, but they would swim to the surface to take a dry fly. I didn't have much luck catching fish in the long riffles, but if the current slowed that is where the fish usually were.

This was another great spot, but when I returned to fish there a second day someone was camping in the area. Truly a beautiful spot and where I caught my second largest fish.
View attachment 38481
View attachment 38482

Well, that's it for this year. I'm already starting to day dream about next year.

Cheers, Rick

P.S. Does anyone have an idea what type of fish this is?...sorry for the bad pictures.
It has a definite V shaped tail and the top half is green with black spots and the bottom half is white to silver, maybe a little pink. I'm guessing it is some sort of
hybrid.

View attachment 38483
View attachment 38484
cool report! hard to tell based on those pictures, but could that be a young salmon by any chance? Head, forked tail, and silver color all match up with a salmon

myt1

Reaction score
cool report! hard to tell based on those pictures, but could that be a young salmon by any chance? Head, forked tail, and silver color all match up with a salmon
I never thought of that.

The river I went rafting on definitely had salmon in it, maybe this river did as well.

Very interesting.

stenacron

Reaction score
Truly inspiring report and beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing

Mystery fish remains a mystery with me, but I do agree with @triocd assessment of a possible salmon.