Fabricating custom leaders/tippets

RAVC

Reaction score
I have been looking into this because it does make more sense to me than continuing to purchase manufactured tapered tippets. I have already found a lot of information regarding this subject matter in my search and I copy/paste url's for references I identify to retain them. It is always nice to have a library. I am posting this here because I could find no better forum for this topic but please relocate my thread if it is deemed best. Second, this is an excellent forum and I want to solicit the experienced opinion of members. The majority of fishing I have been doing is for trout. I recently added steelhead and coho to this. King salmon begin next fall.

VaFisherman

Reaction score
I tie my own leaders because I have found that factory tapered leaders have butts that are too thick for good dry fly presentation to picky trout. Store bought leaders are designed to be all around leaders and most people fish the same leader with dries, streamers, single nymph rigs, double nymph rigs, lots of weight, indicators, etc. and the manufactures of these leaders must make there products work fairly well with all of those duties but preform none of them exceptionally well. By tying your own you can tailor the leader to the style of fishing you are doing.

jayr

Reaction score
I started building my own leaders after I saw how bad the store bought leaders were as far as coil memory and kinking on me. Not to mention how expensive they were.

I went and bought several spools of Maxima Chameleon and this will last me for years not to mention I can build them to suit me and my targeted river/fly type.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
RAVC, Scroll down to Coldwater Articles where there are a few extensive discussions about customizing leader set ups. VaF, Note that butt diameter is a key function of energy transfer from cast line to leader to tippet especially relevant in dry fly presentation. Too thin/soft will result in uncontrollable leader collapse.

RAVC

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Your responses will change my course of action! I will begin reviewing the Coldwater Articles forum this evening.

VaFisherman

Reaction score
RAVC, Scroll down to Coldwater Articles where there are a few extensive discussions about customizing leader set ups. VaF, Note that butt diameter is a key function of energy transfer from cast line to leader to tippet especially relevant in dry fly presentation. Too thin/soft will result in uncontrollable leader collapse.
SnS,

I don't have a problem at all with my leaders collapsing when casting. Now if you consider a #8 hopper a dry fly then yes, and .019 or .017 leader butt would have some trouble. You do not need a .023" butt, which is what a lot of factory leaders actually measure even though advertised as .021, to throw a #16 or smaller dry fly on a 9ft 5x leader. Why would anyone use the same leader on a 3 weight rod casting #22 trico's that they use on a 6 weight rod throwing #12 drake's. I tailor the butt diameter to the flies I am fishing. Factoy leaders are generic.

LOC

Reaction score
I have been looking into this because it does make more sense to me than continuing to purchase manufactured tapered tippets. I have already found a lot of information regarding this subject matter in my search and I copy/paste url's for references I identify to retain them. It is always nice to have a library. I am posting this here because I could find no better forum for this topic but please relocate my thread if it is deemed best. Second, this is an excellent forum and I want to solicit the experienced opinion of members. The majority of fishing I have been doing is for trout. I recently added steelhead and coho to this. King salmon begin next fall.
One thing to keep in mind when the talk turns technical is how does this apply to you, your skill level and the variables that are in play with your waters and fish you are targeting. I custom make my own leaders but would have no problem fishing a commercially made one. It's pretty simple to tweak a commercial leader if you think it's holding you back.... I agree the main reason to stay away from them is the price.

Bigfly

Reaction score
I agree with LOC on not having a problem sporting a fresh factory leader. My clients get a freshy leader so we have a higher success rate.
When you fish a long time, you can see trends. Fish loss is often a wind knot, or other leader issue. I watch this like a hawk.
Here, fish of any size could appear at any time, so a nick or a bruise, or poor knot could cost us a fish. I like them to not question an old leader.
Clients often search for a reason for failure other than their play......And, I wouldn't want tie up 3 leaders every time I'm working.
That would be time consuming, and the more knots you tie in a leader, the higher likelyhood one may may fail. Even after tying a million.....
A 9-10ft 3-4x is my base. I hand straighten them and have zero issues of kinking.
Not saying I run them stock though....I adjust tippet to the style of presentation (super small flies), and I often extend the butt with 30lb maxima for nymphing and dry fly. I can be found using a 15 to 18 foot leader for fish with a clear awareness of fly lines. Not sold in stores as they say.
A factory leader can be a good place for beginners to start, but can be a useful to reduce the failure rate when fishing higher end as well.

Jim

Last edited: