Family/Camping/Fishing suggestions in Driftless.

Chugachfarmboy

Reaction score
My wife and I love the Driftless region and backpacking with the kids. We are looking for suggestions where we can camp off the beaten path and get on some good trout water. We have a 4 and 7 year old but they love to hike and are capable of getting into and out of any campsite in the Driftless.

We live in central iowa so we’ll probably looking at 2-3 night trips.

Anything longer and we’re headed foe the Rockies :).

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nuchamps5

Reaction score
I'm not sure there's a ton of off the beaten path camping in the Driftless, just based on the nature of the land there, with most of it being privately owned with fishing easements. Most camping that I can think of is either at state parks or private campgrounds. You might check out the area around the Kickapoo Valley reserve, I think there might be some camping there.

dpnoll48

Reaction score
Check out the Vernon County Park system. They have some very nice campgrounds. Nothing is off the beaten path, but both parks are near fishing and hiking areas.

Chugachfarmboy

Reaction score
Thanks Nuchamps! We camped there a month ago. It wasn’t too bad. We’ve also done Yellow River SP in Iowa and love it but we are looking build options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdavis32

Reaction score
I've stayed at Beaver Creek Valley State Park in MN and it was nice. There are a handful of 'cart-in' sites that are more remote. You're not gonna be completely alone but I thought those sites had the most privacy of all the other sites.