Favorite Adirondack streams/rivers?

87North

Reaction score
Just curious to see what you guys are fans of, in, and around the Adirondack Park.

Some of my favorites are:

- Ausable. An obvious one, but I've had really great luck on the sections that actually aren't "fly-fishing" only. I've caught browns here that have been 18" on both fly, and spinners.

- Remote/reclaimed ponds in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness. I absolutely hate coming here in June/July/August because of the ridiculous amount of black flies; but, fly fishing the glass-like ponds that haven't been stocked since the 90s has shown great success in April/early may, and late September when it's cooled down. I've never actually seen others fishing on these ponds when I visit them, and there must be a dozen in the pharaoh lake area. Lots of natural brookies - but be ready for a hike. Some of these ponds are 7 mi+ from parking spots.

- Black River, near Boonville NY. The dark black sediment-filled waters originally turned me off, as did the fast moving waters filled with huge boulders.. but I can't deny the insane amounts of smallmouth and brown trout that I've caught here. My cousins have a camp outside of Boonville, and every time I've gone, I've had the best luck someone could ask for, catching a dozen or more fish each time.

I might be giving more info/locations away than some of you are comfortable with posting about - which is fine if you don't want to share the same. I'm just wondering what you guys are dreaming about during the winter when you can't access these bodies of water.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi,

I believe that you will find that generally speaking people are not going to tell the www where they fish. If you have found some great spots it may be a good idea not to post to the internet where exactly they are.

Conversely; asking the members what rod they like for dries or streamers, reel or line, or what bug spray they like for Black FLies will do no harm at all and you'll get more people willing to share. #1 rule of good fly fishing is that if you find a hidden gem you don't tell everyone where you found it:)

Just saying,

Ard

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
Nice list! I regularly fish the Ausable and am learning the "other" areas, trying both upstream and downstream of the fly only zones. 20 inch holdover brown is my best, after a big hike to access some rare public land.

I am from Canada, with in-laws in the north country so I actively explore the north slopes out of the ADK. The Grass(e), St Regis, and of course Little Salmon in Malone. Some nice pockets of wild brown and brook trout, a welcome change from the stockers in Wilmington.

Next challenge: a big hike to a high country stream or lake.

87North

Reaction score
Hi,

I believe that you will find that generally speaking people are not going to tell the www where they fish. If you have found some great spots it may be a good idea not to post to the internet where exactly they are.

Conversely; asking the members what rod they like for dries or streamers, reel or line, or what bug spray they like for Black FLies will do no harm at all and you'll get more people willing to share. #1 rule of good fly fishing is that if you find a hidden gem you don't tell everyone where you found it:)

Just saying,

Ard
Thanks for the input.

Nice list! I regularly fish the Ausable and am learning the "other" areas, trying both upstream and downstream of the fly only zones. 20 inch holdover brown is my best, after a big hike to access some rare public land.

I am from Canada, with in-laws in the north country so I actively explore the north slopes out of the ADK. The Grass(e), St Regis, and of course Little Salmon in Malone. Some nice pockets of wild brown and brook trout, a welcome change from the stockers in Wilmington.

Next challenge: a big hike to a high country stream or lake.
Awesome! Yeah I plan on combining more hiking & camping in my fishing trips this year. Being right next to the river/lake at sunrise is definitely more ideal than waking up early to drive out.

cschae41

Reaction score
Do you know why the black river runs so fast? I always thought it was odd how fast it was ripping the few times ive driven over it?

flytie09

Reaction score
I grew up in Central NY and spent many summers up in the Adirondacks. There are some good smaller brook trout streams and ponds...but many of these are either small or tough to get to. Even if you get there.....the black flies, mosquitoes or deer and god forbid horse flies will have you scratching your eyes out.

The West Branch of the Ausable is tops on my list for sure. It's tough to beat. As a general rule of thumb though...I follow Ard's viewpoint......sorry. This page will get 1,000 views and reposts in short order. If I really value a spot......I might tell you in person......but still not likely.

quadesherwood

Reaction score
I've fished the black river (and west of it mostly) and have always had good luck. I live near Watertown and like to swing for small mouth in town below Maggie's bar. Makes for a fun summer evening. I even pulled a nice little brown out of there in the middle of summer last year. It was wayyyy to hot for him and im glad I was able to unhook him quickly and get him back.

I forget how many dams are on that river, but it is always a fast, violent river in most parts near watertown. I've traveled down to boonville twice, but haven't found luck :(

Quade

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk