Favorite Fiberglass rod

LePetomane

Reaction score
Chris Barclay 7'9" 5 weight. Delightful small stream rod. It is such a nice rod that my son laid claim to it. The first time he used it he cleaned up on the Big Hole.

jayr

Reaction score
FF806 Fenwick or any Fenwick vintage or new

Funny you mention the FF806. My first fly rod my dad bought for me was this model. Caught a lot of fish on it, all trout.

The rod went missing after many moves around so I did some searching and found a replacement. The one I found as in excellent condition and looks to be a good smallmouth rod that I do plan on using.

Papafish

Reaction score
Funny you mention the FF806. My first fly rod my dad bought for me was this model. Caught a lot of fish on it, all trout.

The rod went missing after many moves around so I did some searching and found a replacement. The one I found as in excellent condition and looks to be a good smallmouth rod that I do plan on using.
My first rod was also a FF806 which i purchased at the Kittery Trading Post in Maine in about 1975. Fun story my Dad backed over the rod while fishing in Colorado. He did replace it with a Browning SilaFlex, not as good as the FF806. A few years back I found a near mint FF806 on Ebay which i fish on Monday I think it is one of the best rods ever produced enjoyed your reply.

jayr

Reaction score
My first rod was also a FF806 which i purchased at the Kittery Trading Post in Maine in about 1975. Fun story my Dad backed over the rod while fishing in Colorado. He did replace it with a Browning SilaFlex, not as good as the FF806. A few years back I found a near mint FF806 on Ebay which i fish on Monday I think it is one of the best rods ever produced enjoyed your reply.

Interesting story as my Dad's personal fly rod was a Browning Silaflex as well. I do still have it. Compared to the Fenwick it is a broom stick.

redietz

Reaction score
You are correct about the broom stick.
I love my Browning Silaflex, and still fish it from time to time 45 year later. Not broom stick like at all, and a very smooth casting tool. It's caught thousands of fish, more than any other rod I own. In fact, probably more than any four or five of the other rods I own.

The aesthetics of a foam rubber grip leave something to be desired, though.

Last edited:

dennyk

Reaction score
Mine is a 807 Fenwick Feralite from the early 1970's. My Dad bought me that rod and is still in use today. I was about age 13 when I received it, I'm age 62 at present.

Denny

hatidua

Reaction score
I like epic in the smaller weights but I have a few echo bad ass glass 8’ quickshot 9 weights. It’s a wonderful rod for a 9wt
I have a number of the quickshot 8' rods, my favorite is probably the 7wt, -it'd be fantastic for the snook around Stuart (just going by the location under your profile...and I used to have a house on the south fork down near American Custom Yacht).

trev

Reaction score
Compared to the Fenwick it is a broom stick.
In what respect? to me the modern carbon rods are "broomsticks" in that they are stiff and unbendable, I haven'tused any fiberglass rod that was rigidly stiff; is the Silaflex like a Sage?

redietz

Reaction score
In what respect? to me the modern carbon rods are "broomsticks" in that they are stiff and unbendable, I haven'tused any fiberglass rod that was rigidly stiff; is the Silaflex like a Sage?
No, not at all. I think the comment only meant that it's less buggy whip like than the Fenwick.

jayr

Reaction score
No, nothing like a fast action Sage mainly due to the Silaflex is glass but compared to the Fenwick it is just not as easy to swing or have the feel of the Fenwick. This may be different with the different models of Silaflex, I don't know. But my Dad's old Silaflex is sure like that.

trev

Reaction score
I only own four Fenwicks but none of them have the same action (2 of the same model# have different taper and guide spacing) and the only one I like is the FF80. Yet other users describe the actions of rods I own totally differently than I perceive them. I wouldn't say any of them are ''special'' but all are adequate. I used the FF807 Monday and after 2-3 months off, it was not as bad as I recalled; so it may be a what you are used to thing.
Since we are no longer on the ultra light S-glass topic, my long time favorite is an 8'6'' 8wt with no label from a discount barrel @1980 that I have replaced guides on twice, to give an idea of how much it was a favorite, with old age just around the corner, I now like shorter rods and favoritism is divided between a Phillipson DFS 6wt and a W&M Denco 7wt.

del gue

Reaction score
I have a Barclay 82 4/5 wt, an Echo 7'4" 4 wt, and now an Orvis Superfine Glass 4 wt. There aren't any flies on any of them!

And when I go on vaca this summer I'm gonna prolly be getting myself a Livingston Western Glass in either 5 or 6 wt.

IdahoFlyGuy

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in. I purchased a Moonlit Lunar S-Glass 5wt. I love it. It’s beautiful, seems to be made well, the cork handle has some filler in it but I’m not complaining. The thread wraps look good to me. Alignment dots line up good. It’s my first fly rod I’ve truly fished on. When I was a small kid I fly fished once in a small stocked pond. I recently fell in love with fly fishing in earnest and I gotta say, it’s insanely fun and addicting. Just went out today and had an absolute blast! This was maybe my 5th time out ever in my adult life, all this year. Paired this rod up with a Lamson Liquid and Rio Mainstream WF5F. Casts as good as I can make it cast. I haven’t really taken it out and tried to throw 60’ but one of these days I might try it.