Favorite Fiberglass rod

kumachan

Reaction score
I’m really happy with my 8’ 6# South Bend White Knight. Took that rod out tonight, first time in ten years, and had a blast with my kid catching largemouth bass and bluegills on our local pond. I forgot how much I enjoy the flex of a fiberglass rod. I think I’ll put those graphites away for a bit.

bushak

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in. I purchased a Moonlit Lunar S-Glass 5wt. I love it. It’s beautiful, seems to be made well, the cork handle has some filler in it but I’m not complaining. The thread wraps look good to me. Alignment dots line up good. It’s my first fly rod I’ve truly fished on. When I was a small kid I fly fished once in a small stocked pond. I recently fell in love with fly fishing in earnest and I gotta say, it’s insanely fun and addicting. Just went out today and had an absolute blast! This was maybe my 5th time out ever in my adult life, all this year. Paired this rod up with a Lamson Liquid and Rio Mainstream WF5F. Casts as good as I can make it cast. I haven’t really taken it out and tried to throw 60’ but one of these days I might try it.
I purchased a moonlit 7 weight over the winter. I bought it for streamer fishing for rainbows and coho salmon since I mainly fish smaller streams and side channels. So far I've only used it for pike (late salmon run) and really enjoyed the experience. I put a redington behemoth on my rod since all I had to do was buy another spool.

melvynsegal

Reaction score
Clearly there are many creative and talented fibreglass rod builders. My favorite hands down is Mike McFarland. His 8’6” 6 weight Ameriglass is a joy to fish and cast. So light, accurate, and fishable in close or far out. I would treasure any rod that he builds.
Mel

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I have a McFarland 8'6" Para 6wt that is a really nice rod, Mikes a great caster and a good fisherman and it shows in his rods, I have several and they are very pleasant streamside companions for me. He is certainly a premier maker and designer and not just in fiberglass.

standman

Reaction score
Two piece Steffen 8' 3/4. Mine was built by Graywolf...so a most excellent build!!

mike_r

Reaction score
I'm looking for a faster s-glass 4wt for throwing dries. Orvis, Epic, Echo all are possibilities but am open to other companies.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
For me, by far the Orvis Superfine 476-3 . One of the most capable, faster paced glass rods for small stream dry flying! Roll casts with authority which is really sweet when swinging wets and soft hackles on those mountain creeks. My back up creek rod and brush beater is a 1971 vintage FF 755.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk