Favorite Fiberglass rod

jpielock1992

Reaction score
The local Sunday flea market was also a great place to find inexpensive older gear, but the virus put the Kabosh on it this summer,maybe 2021 but it isn't looking good. Just have to go fishin on sunday morn! Cheers,Chet

wmmcl16

Reaction score
Chris Barclay's rods are amazing and he is an exceptional person. I am lucky to have the 62 and 68.

62 is wonderful as a blue-line, delicate dry rod. It's got a unique taper that really excels in throwing an open loop to softly drop size 16 stimulators/caddis in plunge pools.

68 is a sneaky workhorse. It can throw a 3/4 line (best with 3 DT for dries) and do alot more than you expect in small water. It's got enough power to roll cast small nymphs under wool like a champ and bullet loops under rhododendron.

Fiberglass is the perfect option for the vast majority of our backcountry NC streams.

RockNRiffle57

Reaction score
Chris Barclay's rods are amazing and he is an exceptional person. I am lucky to have the 62 and 68.

62 is wonderful as a blue-line, delicate dry rod. It's got a unique taper that really excels in throwing an open loop to softly drop size 16 stimulators/caddis in plunge pools.

68 is a sneaky workhorse. It can throw a 3/4 line (best with 3 DT for dries) and do alot more than you expect in small water. It's got enough power to roll cast small nymphs under wool like a champ and bullet loops under rhododendron.

Fiberglass is the perfect option for the vast majority of our backcountry NC streams.
I have been lusting after a Barclay 68... Glad to hear it's all that!

trev

Reaction score
I'd like to have another FR2000 or two, I've never fished the short ones.
I think the Craig's list averages 2-3 fly rods per year within 2 hours of me and I've never seen a 'glass rod nor an upscale graphite rod advertised. I think that venue is best in areas of high population, more people just means more stuff bought and sold.

johan851

Reaction score

They really are amazing. I have both a Synthesis 72 and a 60 and they're both excellent. The 72 is broadly capable and the 60 is more of a niche rod, but in that niche it's delightful. I recently asked Chris to re-do the grip on my 72 (I originally picked it up used with a grip style that didn't quite grow on me) and now I'm even more excited about it.

PXL_20210116_050636340.jpg

I've cast the 68 and it's also great. If I was in the market today that's what I would get. Light, accurate, versatile, and beautiful craftsmanship.

johan851

Reaction score
His rods have too many pieces.
Three pieces is too many pieces?

Edit - now that I look more closely there are more 4 and 5 piece rods in the lineup than I thought. The 2wts are meant to be packable so 4pc makes sense to me. Seems like the 68 could be 3 instead of 4, and I would've sworn the one I tried out was a 3pc...

Last edited:

trev

Reaction score
Three pieces is too many pieces?
In any rod less than 8' yes. I have an 8'6" three piece that I hate to use because it is three piece. In longer rods greater number of pieces become more or less necessary, but 'glass rods are best at <9' so cloud all be two pieces, or one piece in the 6' model.

johan851

Reaction score
In any rod less than 8' yes. I have an 8'6" three piece that I hate to use because it is three piece. In longer rods greater number of pieces become more or less necessary, but 'glass rods are best at <9' so cloud all be two pieces, or one piece in the 6' model.
Those criteria rule out a lot of great rods IMO. While I might speculate that my 4pc 6' 2wt would be sweeter as 2pc or 3pc - and I'm sure it would - it wouldn't be convenient for backpacking and that's exactly when I want to use it.

noobacuse

Reaction score

Piling on with more C Barclay Blue Ridge Special love (his 6'8" 3wt). My go to for creeks/mountain streams
F06A6043-4EDD-455A-9E22-1DE43B81D4E3.jpeg5F9DD7AC-1717-4F24-AFED-99C616FDA32A.jpeg

Nonno

Reaction score
My only glass rod is my first fly rod, a Fenwick FF856-2, I still have that rod, but have recently picked up a Moonshine Revival 8' 5wt. I'll let you know which I like soon.

sean freeman

Reaction score
My 72 was my first Barclay which is awesome!

29A480E6-830F-401C-A37D-18532F03CA06.jpeg

Then I bought a 68 four piece which is stunning, as Chris said it’s actually slightly lighter than the three piece and the action feels the same. I couldn’t separate them anyway.

EE3C225A-CB05-4421-9D7F-3950ABDC2D43.jpeg

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Nice looking Barclay`s gentlemen, Still love the rods I mentioned in the beginning of the thread, I picked up a vintage FF75 but I always liked those, last year I kind of became enamored with the epic fast glass for glass for more fast and energetic fishing.