Favorite number of rod pieces?

Favorite number of rod pieces for transport?

• Total voters

wolfglen

Reaction score
A long time ago, I made a rod which the handle detached with a ferrule. The other part was then made in two sections and I had a friend who was pretty handy in his machine shop and he constructed a wading/ hiking staff for me into which the two pieces fitted, screw in top and a point at the end.

The only trouble was that I had to put a fairly small stripping guide on the rod to fit into the staff.

05harleyrider

Reaction score
I tend to like a 3 to 4 piece rod. Easy enought to transport yet strong enought to get the job done. May be just a thought process but I look at the more peices the more margon for error and weakness.

wolfglen

Reaction score
Wow no chance of that here i can vouch

At least not with cheapskate budget companies i tend to favour ;)
Beware of Spirit Airlines: I've had stuff stolen from my checked baggage the last two times.

Their attitude is upon hearing a complaint: "You didn't file a complaint BEFORE leaving the baggage area, therefore, as far as we're concerned, it didn't happen" Imagine that, they expect everyone to open their checked luggage right there when you pick it up. Can you imagine what would happen if everyone did that?

factor

Reaction score
This is a great poll...its interesting to see where people's preferences lie on this. I rarely fly much anymore (would probably have voted 4 piece if that was the case). With that said, I'm really a big fan of 3 piece rods...and have been for quite a while. While almost all of mine are 4 piece, I really feel like a 3 offers the perfect combination of packability and ease of putting together/durability. Great Poll!

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Its not surprising that 4 piece is well into the lead...there's a reason why manufacturers offer a huge percentage of their rods as only available in 4 piece.

uncle bill

Reaction score
I like my two piece rods. I travel by pickup(6 ft bed) and fish close to the road. I attach my reel to the bottom section and the stand the reel on my toe while i attach the top section. Find it very awkward when assembling my 8'6" 3wt wt. 4 piece rod. Usually end up with the reel sliding around the tailgate. Also after rigging up I place my "Dry Land wading staff" in the back of the truck and assemble my water wading staff. So I don't go far or fast. Only advantage I would have with four pieces would be air travel.

kumachan

Reaction score
I have three rods and all are two sections. I'm either riding a bicycle or driving my car to fish so, the rod lengths aren't a concern. The only place I'll be going, anytime soon, that requires air travel will be Japan and I'll buy a rod over there.

proheli

Reaction score
I haven‘t had that many rods, but for whatever reason, if you can’t fish a one piece rod, then I like a three piece. I like that the tip section is a little longer and feels like you have a little more control or feel, and I also like that there is no joint in the exact middle of the rod. I know that’s just mental, and that all along the blank there needs to be the correct amount of material to be the taper at that location. Still, it hits me funny that we put a joint right in the middle.

Last edited: