Favorite number of rod pieces?

Favorite number of rod pieces for transport?

• Total voters

trev

Reaction score
I wish 2 piece was still the standard.
I won't buy multi piece rods. There are lots of "Vintage" two piece rods out there still, but if it came to "have to buy four piece" situation then I'd very simply make two of the joints permanent. Honestly if my car was bigger I'd want a one piece. There is nothing good about a joint in a fly rod.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I won't buy multi piece rods. There are lots of "Vintage" two piece rods out there still, but if it came to "have to buy four piece" situation then I'd very simply make two of the joints permanent. Honestly if my car was bigger I'd want a one piece. There is nothing good about a joint in a fly rod.
Most of my fishing is local so a 2 pc is fine , often I just keep the 4 pc assembled in a 2 pc tube.

trev

Reaction score
I think it's funny that at the trout park and tailwaters I see these $$$$$ many piece fly rods are always kept assembled and stored in a roof top $$$$$$ vault. My two piece is riding on the dashboard or cased out of sight in the trunk. None of the pack rods go to the creek in pieces to be assembled there, even the guys without vaults only take those rods in half and leave the line and reel strung up.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
The practical answer is of course 4, but the bass angler in me wants to say 1. I love my 2 piece rods, but they of course don't travel well. Most of my 4 piece rods are only broken down into 2 and placed in long rod tubes in the back of my truck. But new ferrule technology has these 4 piece rods feeling great, and it's always nice to be able to travel with your favorite rod, so I have to pick 4.

spm

Reaction score
The traditionalist in me says two pieces, and I can travel with a two-piece in my 4Runner. But, most new rods are now three and four piece and, as already stated, the ferrules today are much better, so I'm okay with multiple piece rods.

steve

herkileez

Business Member
Reaction score
I built a rod for an (old school) friend, who said he "just couldn't get his head around" 4 pce rods...so I built it as a 2 pce, gluing the 1st and 3rd ferrules together. He loves it !