Favorite online shop for tying materials?

djfan

Reaction score
I would love to hear where you get your stuff. I live in a small rural town, so we don't have a local shop to support.

Thanks

flytie09

Reaction score
I don't tie or need too many trout flies these days.....but I do tie a fair number or Steelhead and Salmon Streamers. Shops I routinely support are:

Online:
- Poppy's Red Shed
- Waterswest
- Deschutes Angler
- Fly Fishing Shop
- AO Feathers
- FeathersMC
- Whitetail Fly Tieing Supplies (Yeah they spell their name wrong 🤫)
- Canadian Tube Fly Co
- Certain Ebay sellers
- Dette Fly Shop
- Eldredge Bros Fly Shop
- AM Flytying
- Cabelas and Orvis once in a blue moon
- Sportsman's Warehouse

Shops I frequent:
- Puget Sound Fly Co
- Whitakers Fly Shop
- Malindas Fly Shop
- All Seasons Sports

You're not going to see one particular name on here......I'd rather buy snow from the devil himself.

dswice

Reaction score
J. Stockard Fly Fishing also has a large selection of online fly tying materials and supplies. They run sales periodically.

trev

Reaction score
Feather Craft is the only one I've used recently, I have a couple good fly shops (and a Cabela's) within driving distance. Tim's Fly Shop gets most of my business.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I use many, but some I've used more recently have been:

Dooley's Fly Fishing - Nick Dooley is a friend of mine, so I try to use his shop when I can.
Nimrods Tackle - Damian Kelly, the owner, is also another friend
Ole Florida Fly Shop - These folks have treated me very well, and ship quickly - great for answering questions quickly too.
Saltwater Edge - Great shop for anything, but of course they have a lot of materials for saltwater tying
J Stockard & Son - very good all around shop for supplies.
Flymen Fishing Company - Excellent for popper bodies & other items.
Greatfeathers Fly Shop - a shop that I used to go to when I lived in MD. They have a excellent selection of supplies. No website, but will work with you for getting you what you need.
Backwater Angler - another MD fly shop - very good selections - but online, you have to contact them, and they will also get you what you need.
Tochterman's Fly Shop - Baltimore. MD, family run, and have been in the tackle business for over 100 years. Just added a complete fly shop not long ago. Ask for Tony or Dee.

coug

Reaction score
I don't tie or need too many trout flies these days.....but I do tie a fair number or Steelhead and Salmon Streamers. Shops I routinely support are:

Online:
- Poppy's Red Shed
- Waterswest
- Deschutes Angler
- Fly Fishing Shop
- AO Feathers
- FeathersMC
- Whitetail Fly Tieing Supplies (Yeah they spell their name wrong 🤫)
- Canadian Tube Fly Co
- Certain Ebay sellers
- Dette Fly Shop
- Eldredge Bros Fly Shop
- AM Flytying
- Cabelas and Orvis once in a blue moon
- Sportsman's Warehouse

Shops I frequent:
- Puget Sound Fly Co
- Whitakers Fly Shop
- Malindas Fly Shop
- All Seasons Sports

You're not going to see one particular name on here......I'd rather buy snow from the devil himself.

That is a great list! Several of those are also my favorites. I will add Blue Ribbon to the list for some game birds.

mandotrout

Reaction score
I'll second Blue Ribbon for bird skins, zelon, and a few other things. I'd add Galloup's Slide Inn, especially for deer hair and streamer hooks/materials.

swfl daz

Reaction score
I don't have a local shop either. My goto online shop for tying stuff (and a lot of other) is Bear's Den. One thing that I really like about them is that they charge actual shipping cost, not just a set fee based on order amount. It makes a difference when you order a bunch of small light materials.

ontheflymn

Reaction score
I've had good luck with Big Y Fly Co. Otherwise, I dabble in a little bit of everything. Here in the Midwest, Cabela's has turned into an apparel store and their fly tying options have shrunk considerably. Can't say they are high on my list for my FT needs.

mikemac1

Reaction score
I support whoever has the stuff I need. However I will put a plug in for “Factory Direct” suppliers. Fly shops and online retailers just won’t have everything an individual supplier might have. These guys sell direct and always have the stuff I need.

Hedron: The manufacturer of every type of flash know to man in every color concievable
Firehole Outdoors: Barbless hooks and beads—factory direct
John Rohmer Materials: Home to Arizona dubbing in such an array of colors you can’t imagine
River Road Creations: Foam and foam cutters

Last edited:

Critter

Reaction score
My most used is fly fish food.com, then I use stockyard, Dette, Caddis, TFO, and more. It’s hard to find one place that has everything. Even hook selection.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Feathercraft
Hook and Hackle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that Hook & Hackle may have gotten out of the tying supplies business. They had a big sale awhile back, clearing out all of what they had. I bought some items from them and still get their email newsletter.

I used to buy wholesale from them with a tying business I had some years ago, and they were always a good source. Now, it appears that they're primarily selling rod building supplies and some fly fishing gear & equipment. I checked their site the other day & saw no tying supplies at all listed, except they still list vises.

LePetomane

Reaction score
I always go to my local store, Fly Shop of the Bighorns first. If they don't have what I need I put the item on a list. When the list gets to 10 items I order from Bob Marriot's.