Favorite online shop for tying materials?

djfan

Reaction score
I always go to my local store, Fly Shop of the Bighorns first. If they don't have what I need I put the item on a list. When the list gets to 10 items I order from Bob Marriot's.
You live in the best area of our state. I live in south central, in Carbon County. Not a fly shop in this county. If I want a fly shop, I have to go to Laramie or Casper. That's why I don't support my local one. It's mostly on-line for me. Makes it tough for the 4H kids I am teaching to tie. They have to get stuff almost exclusively on line.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Add Theriault Flies, in Maine, and Eldridge Bros. Fly Shop, already mentioned, is also in Maine.

Mr. Alvin Theriault raises some of the animals for materials that he sells & processes it. Has items such as Grouse & Icelandic Sheep.

Ebay sellers:
Bill Skilton - sells under the name of skilto, he has some very good hackle which he raises, and foam fly bodies. PA
Erleng's, - has a variety of materials - AL
Steve Couch, sells under the name oneluckyduck, he lists a variety of materials. Indiana
Flyartist, Denver, Co

desmobob

Reaction score
Years ago, Hook & Hackle was a favorite of mine... they had great prices on 100-pack Mustad hooks. H&H was just a couple of hours up the road from me so shipping was very fast. I regret never visiting the shop in person. They have drifted away from selling fly tying materials.

These days, I use companies like Bear's Den for materials, scout the 'net for bargains on things like beads and cone heads, and will buy necks from guys who really are into them: Fly Fish Food. I live about 45 minutes from the Orvis HQ so I sometimes pick up a few things there. I try to pick up some saltwater tying stuff when I'm on Cape Cod in the spring, fishing. Believe it or not, Orvis closed their retail store on the Cape, which is one of the most popular saltwater fly fishing destinations on the East Coast. They were one of the places I used to visit.

I supply my own Grouse, Wood Duck and whatever else I can. It seems like I always forget to save deer tails!

djfan

Reaction score
Years ago, Hook & Hackle was a favorite of mine... they had great prices on 100-pack Mustad hooks. H&H was just a couple of hours up the road from me so shipping was very fast. I regret never visiting the shop in person. They have drifted away from selling fly tying materials.

These days, I use companies like Bear's Den for materials, scout the 'net for bargains on things like beads and cone heads, and will buy necks from guys who really are into them: Fly Fish Food. I live about 45 minutes from the Orvis HQ so I sometimes pick up a few things there. I try to pick up some saltwater tying stuff when I'm on Cape Cod in the spring, fishing. Believe it or not, Orvis closed their retail store on the Cape, which is one of the most popular saltwater fly fishing destinations on the East Coast. They were one of the places I used to visit.

I supply my own Grouse, Wood Duck and whatever else I can. It seems like I always forget to save deer tails!
I hunt grouse a lot. What part are you keeping and for what?

desmobob

Reaction score
I hunt grouse a lot. What part are you keeping and for what?
Body feathers, hackle, tail feathers. Mostly for soft hackle fly pattern but also for legs, tails, beards, and even wings. It's very satisfying using feathers you procured through a different hobby! (y)

RockCreeker

Reaction score
I live in an area with few people, good fishing, and no shops, so it's mostly on-line for me. For a a wide selection, Caddis Fly and Dakota Angler and Outfitter are both great. The Caddis Fly is about a 20 minute drive from the Hareline Dubbin' warehouse and they get daily deliveries from Hareline. So anything in the Hareline inventory will ship within a day or two, which means a relatively small shop has a huge inventory, effectively in stock.

For synthetics, including a big selection of dubbing, flash, synthetic hairs, legs, and a lot of other stuff, Fly Tyers Dungeon rules. The Mad Scientist has terrific products, generous package sizes, great prices and excellent service. What's not to like?

Last edited:

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
I've had great luck with Dooley's Fly Fishing. I am part of a group on FB called "Stupid Simple Fly Tying" and someone recommended their shop. They're very helpful with everything. I also order stuff from All Points Fly Fishing. They're a local shop near me but they also ship. Their tying inventory isn't as large as Dooley's though.