Fenwick Aetos 6'6" 4wt

The Texas Angler

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Fenwick Aetos 6'6" 4wt? I ran across this rod online by happenstance today. I didn't know Fenwick made a 6'6" 4wt. It looks like this rod is part of their newer line of the Aetos model.

Right now if you order directly from Fenwick's Amazon store, you can pick one up for $123. That's insane, especially since the Aetos is priced at $180 everywhere else. For the money, this looks like an incredible small water option. So much so that I couldn't pass it up at the $123 price.

I would love to hear if anyone has had a chance to cast this rod yet. For me, this would be a great little rod to keep in the truck for those days where you run across a small creek or stream that could be holding some bass, panfish or trout.

trev

Reaction score
I have no experience with those, and no need, but you got me interested enough to look, my first impression was "that's a spinning rod". Then I read the copy and chose different options, like 'new' vs 'old' etc and decided the picture shows a two handed rod that will effectively be less than 6'. I would not want a fighting butt on a 4wt nor would I want a two hand rod that short. if it were in the "old model" grip/reel seat configuration, I'd jump on one for that price even though I have a perfectly good 6'6" already. That's a nice size in Mo trout parks and small blue ribbon streams.
Given the picture, I'll pass, and I'll look forward to your report after you've had it on the water.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
the picture shows a two handed rod that will effectively be less than 6'. I would not want a fighting butt on a 4wt nor would I want a two hand rod that short.
I too was confused by the picture on Amazon, and so looked on the Pure site. From what I can tell, the 6'6" 4 wt looks like a normal single-hand rod.

While I'm not one to judge a rod without casting it, I will say that there's a reason that graphite rods rarely are offered in sub-7' lengths. But with the offer of a free return not much to lose by checking out.

To the OP: Be interested to hear your report after casting.

The Texas Angler

Reaction score
I have no experience with those, and no need, but you got me interested enough to look, my first impression was "that's a spinning rod". Then I read the copy and chose different options, like 'new' vs 'old' etc and decided the picture shows a two handed rod that will effectively be less than 6'. I would not want a fighting butt on a 4wt nor would I want a two hand rod that short. if it were in the "old model" grip/reel seat configuration, I'd jump on one for that price even though I have a perfectly good 6'6" already. That's a nice size in Mo trout parks and small blue ribbon streams.
Given the picture, I'll pass, and I'll look forward to your report after you've had it on the water.
Yeah the picture isn’t accurate. It’s a standard single hand rod with no fighting butt.

The Texas Angler

Reaction score
I too was confused by the picture on Amazon, and so looked on the Pure site. From what I can tell, the 6'6" 4 wt looks like a normal single-hand rod.

While I'm not one to judge a rod without casting it, I will say that there's a reason that graphite rods rarely are offered in sub-7' lengths. But with the offer of a free return not much to lose by checking out.

To the OP: Be interested to hear your report after casting.
Well to me this wouldn’t be an every day rod. Most of the time if I wanted to fish with a 4wt, I’d grab my 8’6” TFO Blue Ribbon. This would be a rod with a specific purpose which is to take to small brushy creeks and streams where everything is tight.

Winston makes a Winston Pure 5’9” 4wt that costs $875 and gets pretty good reviews. Like the small version of the Aetos I just ordered, the Winston is built for tight spaces. That’s exactly what this would be used for.

A great example of when I would use this would be small brushy creeks in Dallas that most fly fisherman would walk past, but for the people who dive in and go for it, they find out that the water is beautiful and chalk full of big hungry fish.

Last edited:

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I just checked it out and they now show out of stock. Let us know what you think.
Fast action graphite is not my thing but in the right hands on the right stream could be a pure joy.

Papafish

Reaction score
I picked up the 1st gen Aetos 6' 3wt from the Classic Fly Fisherman $150. NOS I think he still has some. Pflueger Medalist 3/4 Rio creek line. I have lawn cast the outfit seams to cast well and bow shoots going to use it soon on the upper Fall River and Big Thomas in RMNP. Lots of brush and overhang a 7' is to long at times the fish are all small 8" would be big. Will let you know how it works in about 3 or 4 weeks.

The Texas Angler

Reaction score
I just checked it out and they now show out of stock. Let us know what you think.
Fast action graphite is not my thing but in the right hands on the right stream could be a pure joy.
Oh man, I must have snagged the last one from their Amazon store. You can backorder them on Trident though.

I'll definitely let you guys know how I like it. Once I get it, I'll make it my mission to take it small creek fishing to really break it in. It's going to be a few weeks though as the estimated delivery date shows August 24-26.

BillNye

Reaction score
I have never fished the 4 wt but I have the 8 wt aetos. I broke the old model and they replaced it with the new one so I have experience with both. Unless you can get a good deal on the old model I would just get a new one. The cork and reel seat are a lot nicer and they cast better too. I think the new model is a little less fast than the old one but it has far more reserve power and feels smoother when you cast it. My Aetos is a back up striper rod so what you are looking for in a small stream trout rod may differ but the old model didn’t have the guts to deal with a lot of line out or a shooting head while the new one does a good job with both.

Oregonipa

Reaction score
I fish 7'7" and 7'2" 4 weights and my Dad has fished the same 6'6" 4 weight for as long as I remember. He loves it and uses it in every scenario that we run into, mountain rivers, creeks, and the ocaissional pond. It's really fun to watch him cast. It looks as though he just shoots little laser beams that run parallel to the water about three feet above the surface. Never has he mentioned wishing he had a longer rod. When you get it lined right, it's a lot more versitile than you may think.

trev

Reaction score
Have any of you ever fished a sub 7' rod? If so, what was your thoughts on it?
Not in Fenwick, and not in graphite, but my 6'6" 6wt. 'glass rod (typically use a 5wt line) is excellent in tight places and all I need for tame trout out to about 50'.
No one needs longer than ~7'9" in small/medium streams. (unless the material is so stiff that the rod must be very long to achieve bending)