Fenwick Aetos 6ft 3wt for heavy cover

timkz

Reaction score
Getting ready for spring and summer on the Gunpowder in MD and picked up an Aetos 6ft 3wt for $112 on Amazon. It seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. I'm extremely happy with my 5wt Aetos and wanted to add a short rod to my arsenal for those areas with a low canopy. I paired it up with my "new" vintage Martin MG-3 and SA Amplitude Infinity line. I have not yet had a chance to get out with it. Just wondering if anyone else has some experience with one of these 6' rods? Thanks!

DSCN0296_edited.jpg

DSCN0293_edited.jpg

spm

Reaction score
Nice looking set-up, tim. Just curious; what is that reel you paired with it?

Thanks,
steve

Redbrook

Reaction score
Good looking set up! I like the older click pawl reel with that rod. Some how it all works together and seems to fit. Looks like you'll have a ball with that rig. Please update us after you've landed a few fish!

patrick62

Reaction score
I fish little streams for brookies all the time. Very good for what we now call "social distance," as 99 percent of anglers can't be bothered.

A couple of things:

A lighter line isn't necessarily best on a short rod. I have a six foot two weight (TFO) that's fun to play with once in a great while but it's not my first choice. I'm not familiar with the Fenwick but I would certainly experiment with a #4 line on it.

Why? Because quite often I want to stick a heavy nymph or a smallish streamer into a small space, and that is a lot harder to do accurately with a lighter line. Not impossible but a little extra oomph really helps.

Second point -- SMall mountain streams often have much more back cast room than you'd think. This is the time to fish with your feet. Take some time to get into position and plan out your strategy for the area you plan to fish immediately and for the next couple of likely lies, keeping in mind the all-important stealth.

Third point -- For those places where it really is impossible to uncork a proper back cast, the bow and arrow and water load casts are your friends. Frequently the latter after the former -- bow and arrow to get your fly out there, and a water load -- just a flip, really.

This video has a small stream section that illustrates the point nicely.

YouTube

I love using small rods on small streams. Hell, I like using them on big water too.