Fiberglass rods

bdon7722

Reaction score
Hello I am new to fly fishing and am looking into a smaller fiberglass rod. I am thinking somewhere around a 6ft 3wt. I already have a cheaper cabelas rod that is a 8'6'' 4wt. I only fish for trout in new jersey on the flat brook or the paulinskill river. I was wondering if this would be a good idea to get a shorter rod and if so maybe some recommendations. One that I have been looking into is the redington butter stick. If someone could maybe help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
i just bought a glass rod from midwest custom fly rods for $130. I havent received it yet, but once i do i will post a review.
There are a lot of glass rods out there, the butterstick being on. I would test cast a few to figure out whether you like them or not. Get to the orvis store and try their superfine glass rod.
I have one on hand to test this weekend.

Of course, which length to get will depend on a lot of factors. Does your streams have dense brush on the banks? Can you wade to the middle to cast? Or even wade out a bit to cast?

what will you be casting with it? Streamers? Nymphs? midges? Dries....you need to factor all this in to the equation.

You can also check ebay for the Cabelas CGR....good little rods and can be picked up for about half the price of the butterstick, if not less.

mtstickbow78

Reaction score
If you go to the Orivis Web sight they have some pretty helpful videos on selecting gear.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bdon7722

Reaction score
---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
i just bought a glass rod from midwest custom fly rods for $130. I havent received it yet, but once i do i will post a review.
There are a lot of glass rods out there, the butterstick being on. I would test cast a few to figure out whether you like them or not. Get to the orvis store and try their superfine glass rod.
I have one on hand to test this weekend.

Of course, which length to get will depend on a lot of factors. Does your streams have dense brush on the banks? Can you wade to the middle to cast? Or even wade out a bit to cast?

what will you be casting with it? Streamers? Nymphs? midges? Dries....you need to factor all this in to the equation.

You can also check ebay for the Cabelas CGR....good little rods and can be picked up for about half the price of the butterstick, if not less.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In most spots I can probably wade out a little bit. There are lots of trees and bushes usually in the spots that I fish.
For what type of flies I will be using. I usually use nymphs or dry flies.
Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

[/COLOR]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In most spots I can probably wade out a little bit. There are lots of trees and bushes usually in the spots that I fish.
For what type of flies I will be using. I usually use nymphs or dry flies.
Thank you for your help.
i think you'll be hard pushed to find a 6' 3wt, unless its higher end (i dont know if butterstick is available in that size). generally for a 3wt i'd go 7' or 7''6

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
My eagle claw featherlight I'm in love with

it is a 6'6" rated as a 4/5wt

IMO it cast great with a 5 DT but isnt what you would think of as traditional 5wt

to me it performs much the same tasks as my 3wt graphite. Small stream trout, panfish and small warm water fishing.

might be a great way to try out some different fiberglass without breaking the bank

here is the link to my thread

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/348899-featherlight-action.html

itchmesir

Reaction score
If you want a 6' 3wt... I'd order the CGt in a 2wt and overline it with a 3wt line. From reviews these rods line designations are underlined and need a full wt heavier to load properly

irons

Reaction score
Scott makes a good fiberglass rod in light weights and shorter legnths, but they may be a bit pricey though. I think they run around $500. They are good quality rods though.

raspberrypatch

Reaction score
If you are open to building your own or commissioning a builder, I would suggest a Kabuto 6'6" 2 wt. it is a little fast and can handle a 3wt.

Ijuin also has a 6'6" and believe he once has a rod under 5'.

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
Last week I fished my first glass rod. What fun. It is a 7'-6" 2wt. second generation Blue Halo rod. I do not have much to compare it to because it is the first glass that I have fished. It delivered a dry fly with such finesse. I could roll cast like no other rod I have used. Between the glass rod flex and the stick of our furled leader to load the rod, it was pure magic. The one issue I had was the amount of flex in the rod. I missed many strikes due to the rod flexing so much when I tried to set the hook. Once I started to strip set rather than simply raising the rod, the hook-sets came one after another. Keep in mind, it was only a 2 wt. with a very soft tip. As I type this, my jeep is packed and ready for a weekend getaway. The new glass rod is already rigged up and ready for some small native cutt’s.

The fish below was landed with the 2 wt rod. Even though the rod has lots of flex to it, I was able to land the brown and release it pretty quickly. I personally am not a fan of fighting the fish until it is so exhausted. Before I actually caught my first fish with it, I was somewhat concerned about how fast I could get the fish to the net. It was not an issue at all.

bmxrider11976

Reaction score
I fish many of the same waters you do. Depending on what I will be throwing, it is either my 9 foot 5wt or my Eagle Claw Featherlight 7 foot 5 weight. They do make a 6'6" 3/4 weight Eagle Claw now too. The smaller rod is great for fishing the Kill with all its brushy banks and overhanging branches.

pszy22

Reaction score
I'm also a big fan of the Eagle Claw Featherlights but they are designed for a heavier line gap than you are looking to fill. Another rod that I very much like is made by Dorber -

global dorbeR group

I haven't fished thier 6' 3wt, but I am very happy with my 5' 2wt.

Have fun,

felonious_monk

Reaction score
No idea on the butter stick.

But the paulinskill and flatbrook are my home waters. I fish them both wih an 8'6" 5wt. There are times when maneuvering can be a bit tricky, but it isn't too often that I do much overhead casting there. Usually a bunch of roll casting and water loading.

I would tend to think a 6' rod is too small. I would have trouble getting across some of the currents with such a small rod.

You'll find me on the flatbrook Mondays and Tuesdays. I drive a green jeep. If you find me say hi.