Filling a Fly Box

Sirgrumps

Reaction score
You are going through what every new fly fisherman goes through, and as most people have said before, one eventually whittles down to a dozen or so patterns in different sizes. Now there will be an argument of what those dozen or so should be, but the basic idea of a light nymph, dry nymph, weighted nymph, dark dry, light dry, buggers, hopper, light midge, and dark midge makes a lot of sense to me.

I do keep two identical filled boxes, in case one falls and is unretrievable. That way your day is not ruined.

i did inherit a bunch of stocked fly boxes that were set up for specific trips; Alaska, Bonefishing, Salmon, and Mexico.
But those just sit at home until I can finally make one of those trips.

What’s kinda funny, the last few trips have been such that I only carried two boxes, filled with clousers, in two sizes, in three colors; that’s all.

OKplus

Reaction score
"I do keep two identical filled boxes, in case one falls and is unretrievable."
[/QUOTE]

Do many of us label fly gear such as fly boxes with our contact info like we do our luggage, or do we consider unretrievable property a sacrifice to the river / lake / ocean gods?

hatidua

Reaction score
When I first got into fly fishing I went into a local fly shop on a Friday and purchased four of the recommended clouser minnows for the fishery at hand. I came back in on Monday after using those flies over the weekend and asked if it was possible to repair one of them that was severely damaged. To the shop owners credit, he concealed any laughter that he may have felt.

I have a few more flies than that now.

alfaromeo

Reaction score
2 years ago..i found a floating fly box rafting down the american river,, next day took it to kenies fly shop, owner picked it up a few days later

Sirgrumps

Reaction score
When I first got into fly fishing I went into a local fly shop on a Friday and purchased four of the recommended clouser minnows for the fishery at hand. I came back in on Monday after using those flies over the weekend and asked if it was possible to repair one of them that was severely damaged. To the shop owners credit, he concealed any laughter that he may have felt.

I have a few more flies than that now.
I assume you wanted that fly repaired because it was lucky for you.

68camaro

Reaction score
In thinking about this more and relating to what is working for me, I think the 3 most important ingredients in a fly box system are 1) pick a system 2) stick with it and 3) learn the flies - identification, sizes, uses, pro/cons. I find as my knowledge of each fly family/type/style/use increases my system becomes more meaningful and I am less apt to look to change it. It may not be perfect or best system but I understand it.

I used to jump around changing systems but this for me just caused confusion and endless boxes with fly's I forgot what they were for and why.