Fire Ant Attack

Boltonbene

Reaction score
Hi all
I’m a newbie at fly fishing.
Purchased my first waders, boots and vest. I sure look good...lol. I’m an all in kinda guy.
Anyway, gone into the Credit River up here in Ontario for the first time. I didn’t want to disturb fish and walked the shore as much as possible.
About an hour later I felt crawling all over in my shirt. I was thinking it was black flies or mosquitos. Looked down at my waders and found fire ants crawling up. Done we’re hanging on for life as I just came out of the water. Resilient buggers.

I brushed them off but started noticing stinging in my shirt. I was bitten in about 10 spots. Stung but not that bad.
I found 20 more stuck in my netted vest which saved me from more bites.

It was difficult to know if I’ve disturbed a nest as there was quite a bit of ground cover.
How can I protect myself from being attacked?
Thinking of getting a long sleeve hoodie shirt.
Could I add rings if Vasoline to the legs of waders to stop them from crawling? Any affect on the material? I have Simms Freestone waders and vest.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thx
Stung but not out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
I don’t know if this is just an elaborate ruse to keep Ontario to yourself but I just took it off my list:D

They are sure fierce little buggers, I will never forget my run in with them in South Carolina. I was miserable for days.

I’ll be following this thread for preventative measures;)

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Wow - I had no idea we had fire ants in our area. Sorry to hear of your experience with them. Thanks for the warning, though!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
That's an interesting story, I can't offer any real advice other then glancing down at your waders every now and then. I do know those fire ants can sting like the dickens.

stenacron

Reaction score
Might want to contact regional biologists and report your find.

Known Fire Ant distribution globally... looks like Ontario could be new to the list... may be a larger range expansion.

Boltonbene

Reaction score
Might want to contact regional biologists and report your find.

Known Fire Ant distribution globally... looks like Ontario could be new to the list... may be a larger range expansion.
Did some research and they are probably the invasive European Fire ant. Couldn’t believe how aggressive they were. Like a bunch of little Rambos.

bumble54

Reaction score
Haha. Great idea. Just a coincidence that you handle is Bumble as in bee. Lol.

Actually nothing to do with the bumble bee as such but rather after the old Derbyshire fishing fly, Derbyshire Bumbles, a heavily hackled palmer for rough water.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
You must have stood on their nest for an extended period. Yep, we have a bunch of them here in SC. There are several nests in my yard and a constant battle with them.

I've read there are about 200 species worldwide. Nasty little buggers!

I have no idea what you can do, other than be more aware of your surroundings & stay away from them! [poke]

Where I fish, I'm more concerned with the possibility of Cottonmouths and Alligators! :grin:

clay tonian

Reaction score
Yes, as bigjim said...you stood in one place too long. As a frequently barefooted FL resident, I’ve learned to keep moving and be aware of soft ground under foot. Down here, the phrase “you’re standing in fire ants...” is pretty common.

On a side note, I’ve learned to appreciate fire ants in some areas of my yard. I have towering long leaf pines that are susceptible to pine borer infestations. I believe that fire ant mounds at base of my trees protect the them from those little *******s. Otherwise, if I find a mound near the house, it’s toast.

mtboiler

Reaction score
Just a word of warning. Be careful what bug spray you put on your gear. Deet will eat a hole in your waders or rain jacket. Just fyi.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
As someone has mentioned,report the infestation to the authorities ASAP.Fire ants have also been detected on Christmas Island and Australian biologists were called in the locate the nests and destroy them.Some of the shops (for want of a better word) near Ikari House had their doors taped up a few years ago while the scientists eradicated the insects.

denver1911

Reaction score
I “discovered” a nest on Christmas Island in May. Not five minutes later, another guy “discovered” them too. Ouch!

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Not even certain if I have ever seen a fire ant, but reading this thread has me checking my pant legs. :) It's amazing how much pain even the common little red ants can inflict when you have only a dozen of them inside your clothing.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
Ground zero for fire ants was Mobile Ala. which is just 60 miles away, so I am very familiar with them. I probably have two or three colonies in the back yard right now, as they often don't build a visible mound unless the ground is saturated with excessive rain. I deal with the mounds with one of the pesticides. A friend who had them in his horse pasture didn't like to use anything toxic so he used boiling water. I didn't wipe out the colony but it did encourage them to move. Once they were out of his pasture and in the woods he left them alone.