First Attempt At A Gurgler

mtboiler

Reaction score
Total body size is about the size of a quarter. I quickly realized when I got started I just do not have the materials to tie these in bright colors. But, I adapted. Also realized the foam for the head either needs to be tapered or skinnier. Just to much foam to tie it down correctly. Plus, forgot about eyes, so I drew them it. But not a bad start. Size 4 hook, so pretty good size fly. I think this frog will hunt!! But next time I will use feathers for the rear legs now bucktail. Only chartreuse I have except for rubber legs.

gurgler1.jpggurgler2.jpg

Last edited:

swfl daz

Reaction score
Gurgler is my absolute go to fly in brackish/salt water. I've caught just about every species we have here in SWFL on it. Just this week I boated tarpon, snook, largemouth bass, and FL gar with the same green glitter gurgler.

My recipe is pretty simple:

#2 (or #4) hook - My favorite is a B10S
Craft fur for the tail (1-1/2 - 1-3/4")
Sharpie bands on the craft fur tail
Flashabou (2-3 strands each side)
Medium palmer chenille (4-5 wraps)
Large cactus chenille (straight back)
tie in foam strip with tapered end fwd
wrap cactus chenille 1 wrap behind the foam and then up to about an 8th" shy of the hook eye
fold the foam and tie it in
whip finish and loon the wraps

DSCN0524.JPG

Attachments

philly

Reaction score
It will definitely catch fish. What thickness foam were you using? Generally, I use 2 mm foam for my smaller gurglers. Is it tied from one piece of foam? I sort of got the impression that the head was a separate piece of foam. You might need a heavier thread. I use 3/0, Big Fly thread, sometimes size G.

mtboiler

Reaction score
It will definitely catch fish. What thickness foam were you using? Generally, I use 2 mm foam for my smaller gurglers. Is it tied from one piece of foam? I sort of got the impression that the head was a separate piece of foam. You might need a heavier thread. I use 3/0, Big Fly thread, sometimes size G.
One piece of foam 2MM. Ultra 140 thread. Did not break the thread just did not feel like I could get the head tight enough.

trev

Reaction score
I think you are trying too hard, and using too much material. Yours will catch fish but I wouldn't recognize it as a gurgler with all the color and rubber legs.
1602897823592.jpeg
As tied by the inventor, instructions here https://www.jackgartside.com/step_gurgler.htm

I use these quite a lot for small mouth tied this way, except I use 2mm foam in place of his 3mm and trim the lip shorter than his 1/2"

mtboiler

Reaction score
I think you are trying too hard, and using too much material. Yours will catch fish but I wouldn't recognize it as a gurgler with all the color and rubber legs.
Sorry, but fly tying to me is kind of like cooking. You review a recipe, look at it from all sides and than you make your own version!! No creativity means you might as well just buy them online for $1 each.

philly

Reaction score
Sorry, but fly tying to me is kind of like cooking. You review a recipe, look at it from all sides and than you make your own version!! No creativity means you might as well just buy them online for $1 each.
The ones I saw on line were more than a $1. I agree with you. You take the basic pattern and tailor it to your needs. I tie the Gartside gurgler mainly for fresh water. I use the basic body shape of the original, but replace the buck tail with marabou, and replace the hackle under the foam with estaz or sparkle chenille. Sometimes I'll even add legs

ddb

Reaction score
Creativity is good.

So is appreciation for design elements that make a fly succeed. The original gurgler surely does work because its sparse, balanced, design make it dance on the water. And you can cast it with a 4 wt.

I'm not saying yours will not work. Just be sure that what you build into it has an intended benefit that justifies the extra material and time. Is it meant to be a gurgler, a popper, or a hybrid? How does it move in that mode?

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Total body size is about the size of a quarter. I quickly realized when I got started I just do not have the materials to tie these in bright colors. But, I adapted. Also realized the foam for the head either needs to be tapered or skinnier. Just to much foam to tie it down correctly. Plus, forgot about eyes, so I drew them it. But not a bad start. Size 4 hook, so pretty good size fly. I think this frog will hunt!! But next time I will use feathers for the rear legs now bucktail. Only chartreuse I have except for rubber legs.

View attachment 26960View attachment 26961
Looks good to me! I like it, very frog looking!

IMO, the Gurgler is one of those styles that you can either stay with basic, or expand on it, like the Clouser Minnow, Lefty's Deceiver, or Seaducer. All of which have been expanded on by many folks.

I tend to tie more Gurglers with a splayed hackle tail than with hair, but do use hair also. Personal preference, nothing more. I don't usually add legs, but have done that too and most I'll tie with a underbody of cactus chenille or similar materials. There's various ways they can be tied. I agree with what's been said about adapting to the situation or conditions.

Mtboiler, as long as you're happy with the result and they catch fish for you, that's what is important. I would bet that fly will produce! 👍 👍 🙂

MDC183

Reaction score
That'll fish! I love the creativity. That's what makes fly tying fun and worth the gazillion dollars we spend on materials, hooks, etc. I usually tie my gurglers using just three materials to cut down on tying time. That way I'm more willing to go for the risky cast super tight to structure.

mtboiler

Reaction score
Creativity is good.

So is appreciation for design elements that make a fly succeed. The original gurgler surely does work because its sparse, balanced, design make it dance on the water. And you can cast it with a 4 wt.

I'm not saying yours will not work. Just be sure that what you build into it has an intended benefit that justifies the extra material and time. Is it meant to be a gurgler, a popper, or a hybrid? How does it move in that mode?
Tied for a smallmouth bass. Intended to be a sipper/skitter pattern. So, while the snow just probably eliminated the chances for me to chase smallies this year, I will use it next year.

LOC

Reaction score
Sweet, looks fishable to me and my experience tells me it will catch fish. Since this is your first round experimenting with that style of fly you'll start to refine it. Refining usually comes down to a few key ideas you should keep in mind. How well does it fish? How well does it cast and how do you tie it. I'm always trying to balance a better casting fly by only keeping the neccessary elements that triggered the fish to eat it in the first place.

One of the lessons that stick with a lot of good tiers is when you fish a fly that keeps getting bit and there's hardly nothing left of it from getting chewed on all day.

Last edited: