First fish of the year

hawkeyeflyfisher

Reaction score
A buddy and I went to fish the Gallatin river last Sunday.

I found out that my 8'6" Cabela's Fish Eagle II 5 wt is much too flexible, made mending pretty tough.

I was able to catch my first ever whitefish, kind of ugly little fish but was about 12-14 inches and fought pretty good so that was nice!

My wife and I are going out this Sunday to fish again so hopefully the wind is a bit more tame and I am able to get a trout or two! I didn't bother taking a picture of the whitefish, but hopefully will get some good pictures of trout here soon!

M

mridenour

That's a beautiful river. I'm wanting to go back again and spend more time on it than I did last time. Barely nicked the surface of it.

hawkeyeflyfisher

Reaction score
It really is, I can't wait to get back out there again this weekend. And hopefully the boss will quit calling meetings earlier than we are usually supposed to be to work so I can get out in the mornings!

Anybody fished with St. Croix Imperial rods? Rifling through my Fly Rod & Reel magazine I saw an add for them, thought I would check them out. Pretty reasonably priced, I just need a faster action rod for fishing the rivers out here!

M

mridenour

It really is, I can't wait to get back out there again this weekend. And hopefully the boss will quit calling meetings earlier than we are usually supposed to be to work so I can get out in the mornings!

Anybody fished with St. Croix Imperial rods? Rifling through my Fly Rod & Reel magazine I saw an add for them, thought I would check them out. Pretty reasonably priced, I just need a faster action rod for fishing the rivers out here!
I haven't used one but it is on my short list for rods I am considering for my next purchase...probably a 10' 7WT. Most people really like them.

dhayden

Reaction score
Nice to get that 1st fish...

There's a few places in town that have TFOs and Grey's rods.. that are fairly inexpensive as well.. you can try them out at the shops

hawkeyeflyfisher

Reaction score
I saw a few good prices on the Echo rods, lifetime warranty sure doesn't hurt!

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

Those Echo rods were @ Troutfitters