First glass rod; dedicated dry fly rod - what weight

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
My CGR 3-weight arrived today. It is shipped fully assembled (3 piece) in a big cardboard tube. There is no case or rod sock. The reel seat does not have threaded rings, just rings that slide over the reel foot and hold by friction (nostalgia, as a kid I had a cheap spinning rod like that.
Purely a guess, but given that they shipped it assembled without a rod tube it sounds to me like you got a floor model from one of the stores. Perhaps the distribution center was out of stock, and so they fulfilled the order from a store that had the model. Now the store presumably has the corresponding tube behind a counter or in the back, but sounds like the employee who processed/packaged the order didn't know or care to look for it. Those are all just guesses on my part, but to me seems the most likely explanation. In any event, you definitely should have received a tube and so you should ask for a replacement or for them to ship the missing components separately. As for the rings, that's what they show on their website. Good luck.

trev

Reaction score
It should have the sliding ring seat in that size, but from the online catalog at both BP and C's "All models include a nylon rod case. " you should call right away in my opinion.

ibookje

Reaction score
Glass rod aficionados tend to love the old fashion functionality with reel seats that are a cap and ring or a down lock screw.

The slower action (although rarely really slow, just slow compared to the ultra fast graphite rods of today) allows your mind to slow down as well. Enjoy the pace, smell the roses and deliver with grace.

Do know that fiberglass action might open up the box which will end up with buying more glass rods. Many are beautifully built by small one man shops.

Enjoy the journey

Willy B

Reaction score
It is hard to beat the Orvis Superfine 764. A little more money, but a great warranty and they hold their value. There is a reaon they are hard to find used, most people love them too much to sell them.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Send the rod back or call them - it should come with a case. they screwed up.
i just got the 7/8 and it too came in the long cardboard tube but it was cased.
I didn't get a response to my email so I called on the phone. I talked to a real human being, and had two options. To get the case that comes with that rod I would have to send the rod back and they could send me a whole new package. Or they offered to just send a different case. The sales rep looked at what they have and they are sending a Plano 42" rod tube (easier than dealing with returns and all that).

patrick62

Reaction score
My CGR 3-weight arrived today. It is shipped fully assembled (3 piece) in a big cardboard tube. There is no case or rod sock. The reel seat does not have threaded rings, just rings that slide over the reel foot and hold by friction (nostalgia, as a kid I had a cheap spinning rod like that. I am trying to remember how often the reel fell off). By contrast, I have 2 CGR 5-weights and both came with a case and a "regular" reel seat (I don't know the technical name, the usual kind with a threaded ring). I had a Cabela's Prime 1-piece 3-weight that I broke (too bad, 'cause I really liked that rod and though it was dirt cheap they don't make it anymore). The Prime came with a sock but no case, and it had the regular screw-type reel seat.

I took it out on the yard and it seems to cast OK, though it is very windy. It will probably be good for the little stream down the road. (I was there earlier this AM with my tenkara rod and all I could catch was a bunch of little minnows.)
This is the third time I have heard of something like this -- not tube, weird shipping. Get on the phone and complain, it's the only way. Emails are too easily ignored.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
This is the third time I have heard of something like this -- not tube, weird shipping. Get on the phone and complain, it's the only way. Emails are too easily ignored.
I did that and the lady on the phone seemed willing to send me any rod tube I wanted. I didn't milk it.

patrick62

Reaction score
That's good to hear.

I don't know why people are suddenly afraid of the phone. God knows they are glued to the things all day, but to actually talk to a stranger? Gasp!

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
That's good to hear.

I don't know why people are suddenly afraid of the phone. God knows they are glued to the things all day, but to actually talk to a stranger? Gasp!
I think it might be because sometimes when you call one of these companies you spend a half hour negotiating an interminable automated system, at the end of which you get cut off or asked to leave a message and expect a callback, or eventually you just have to hang up and get back to work. I was happily surprised that with Cabela's it didn't take too long to connect with a very helpful live person.

trev

Reaction score
many times you can shorten the mechanical negotiations by just randomly punching several numbers when the machine gives the first prompt, it seems to trigger the "referral to human" response.
If I get put on hold, I hang up after 30 seconds and call back, if I wanted a conversation with a machine I'd go talk to the tractor.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
many times you can shorten the mechanical negotiations by just randomly punching several numbers when the machine gives the first prompt, it seems to trigger the "referral to human" response.
If I get put on hold, I hang up after 30 seconds and call back, if I wanted a conversation with a machine I'd go talk to the tractor.

And some companies if you say "representative" into the phone, it will connect you. For others there are many websites that give you the tricks to get past the phone tree firewall.

standman

Reaction score
The Orvis Superfine Glass is an excellent choice as a dry fly rod. I own three of them, and find that these rods tend to do very well with the line listed as well as the next size up. For instance, I have the 7' 6" 3-weight, and like it with both 3 or 4 weight lines. For stream fishing, I often use a 4 DT line, and the casts are so crisp and effortless.