First Hard Boat

Cgriff

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been rowing a 14' raft with a full frame the last few years on the Green below Flaming Gorge. Especially the C section. We recently moved to northern NM and am really close to the San Juan now. I'm pretty set on getting a Stealthcraft boat, I know we all have our opinions here... I'm on the fence about which boat though. My first choice is one of their Bighorn Skiffs as skiffs seem to be the ride of choice for the Juan. But I'm tempted to go with one of their 15' low side drift boats to have a little more versatility. Any thoughts or advise from the experienced drift boat owners out there?

Thanks!

bazzer69

Reaction score
Head to Texas Hole and pay attention to what the guides are rowing- buy one of those

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Pay attention to what a guide with many years of experience is using. Remember, what does a eighteen year old with a drift boat call himself? A guide !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Redrock

Reaction score
I’m not an experienced drift boat owner, just an experienced fisherman. I looked at the Stealthcraft, Boulder Boat Works skiff and Adipose flow. I chose the Adipose. Why? The flow is made in Helena, and I can get it repaired pretty easily! I’m skidding sort of. The Adipose flow design has been around a while. I like that it is very stable and pretty darn agile. I regularly see a guide on the Beaverhead who fishes a Stealthcraft. It’s a nice boat.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Are you keeping the raft for other waters? ( rhetorical )
I travel to fish in many areas so my last drift boat purchase favored realistic versatility.
If the San Juan and waters like it is it for you, then copying the local talent is probably best. That way if you find a flaw in your choice, you have a boat model that's locally popular. Easier to find a buyer.

canehunter

Reaction score
I've been rowing a Hyde for the last few years and have rowed a friend's Clacka during this time also. I liked them both. Another friend recently got a brand new stealthcraft. It has a bunch of really neat features but when I was in the captains chair, the oars are sky high and I feel like I'm rowing from just below my chin. The clacka and hyde boats I've rowed feel much better and that you can actually use the best part of your back and shoulders to row. His is the aftermath model. Not sure if all models are the same, but if they are, I'll never row one again. My $0.02

VaFisherman

Reaction score
I've been rowing a Hyde for the last few years and have rowed a friend's Clacka during this time also. I liked them both. Another friend recently got a brand new stealthcraft. It has a bunch of really neat features but when I was in the captains chair, the oars are sky high and I feel like I'm rowing from just below my chin. The clacka and hyde boats I've rowed feel much better and that you can actually use the best part of your back and shoulders to row. His is the aftermath model. Not sure if all models are the same, but if they are, I'll never row one again. My $0.02
The Stealthcraft Aftermath comes in a standard side and the HD (High and Dry) model. The HD is 5" higher than the standard Stealthcraft models and I could see where without raising the seat the oars would be too high for many rowers. That may have been what you rowed.

I have been considering the Stealthcraft Aftermath to supplement my 14ft raft and have been struggling with whether to get the HD or not due to the oar height concern. In the pictures online it looks like the seat remains at standard height in the HD model. I toured their operation in Baldwin MI a few years ago but at that time I was not up to date on their models enough to ask the right questions, and as I remember I do not believe they had an Aftermath HD on the lot.