First time euro fishing

peterk1234

Reaction score
I have been reading about tight line fishing for years but never bothered to try it. Well, I finally broke down because I found a Clearwater 10 foot 3wt combo with reel, line and leader for 298 bucks. It got into the forties today here in Montana, there is no new snow for skiing, so I figured what the heck. Tied up some small orange bodied bead heads and hit the Yellowstone. Maybe I could convince a whitefish to hit my fly. Off I went to a spot that I figured would be deep enough. After about fifteen minutes I could have sworn I got a hit. Another twenty minutes go by and I feel the slightest tap and I think the line stopped moving. I set the hook. Is it a rock? Nope, its moving. My first whitefish is in the net using the euro technique. One hour later I netted four fish, the largest about two pounds. I think I missed three others.

What a great way to fish with nymphs. I'm not sure they would have cared what color that nymph was as long as I got in front of their face. To think that I landed four fish in the middle of January on a river that should have horrible fishing right now is amazing to me. I have a pile of jig hooks, lead and materials in route. Time to start tying some new flies. I cannot wait to try this method when trout fishing is in full swing.

I think I will need to tweak the leader setup. It came with the rod. It is an orvis tapered leader with the colored sections. However, the leader/line connection was in my guides most of the time. Not that it was getting caught up in the guides but it was a bit annoying dealing with that slight hangup if I ever needed to mend it. I think I would prefer to have like thirty feet of mono. I don't think I need the flyline at all to get the flies out twenty feet or so. I also like the idea of tying in the colored leaders and having some tag ends out there so it is easier to see.

And for a low end rod I have to say it is plenty sensitive. I felt the slightest takes. If I can feel a fish take a fly in January in Montana, I would say it is plenty sensitive. And I love the flex of the rod when the fish is fighting. You feel everything. I really enjoy nymph fishing. This method looks like it will take it to a whole new level.

Last edited:

MC_Squared

Reaction score
It's definitely a great way to put fish in the net, especially on pressured waters. I usually start out nymphing in the morning until I've caught a few and will then switch to trying to get some dry fly eats if I see some risers.

Zwego01

Reaction score
Use a mono rig and eliminate your fly line (or at least keep it out of the guides). If you have 25-30 ft of mono followed by a good sighter set up leading to your tippet (3-5+ ft of 5x or so) you should be good. If you use a loop to loop connection to your fly line, you can take this off your fly line and replace it with a leader appropriate for your fly/presentation since Euro rods can throw a standard fly line as well. Good luck and have fun! Z

MC_Squared

Reaction score
Use a mono rig and eliminate your fly line (or at least keep it out of the guides). If you have 25-30 ft of mono followed by a good sighter set up leading to your tippet (3-5+ ft of 5x or so) you should be good. If you use a loop to loop connection to your fly line, you can take this off your fly line and replace it with a leader appropriate for your fly/presentation since Euro rods can throw a standard fly line as well. Good luck and have fun! Z
I second the recommendation on the mono. I run like 30 ft. of 15lb sunset amnesia, 2 ft. of 12lb amnesia, and then my sighter.

inshore_man

Reaction score
I’ve bought so many different monos…maxima chameleon is the best IMO. OPST is a close second, but limited sizes availabl. if chameleon was hi viz it would be perfect. i like amnesia b/c it is hi vis yet comes in low poundages…personally i fish a microthin leader almost exclusively now but used 20lb chameleon for many years

Drysidesooter

Reaction score
Congratulations, and welcome to the addiction. Euro Nymphing is a great arrow to have in the quiver. Consider getting Devin Olsens book. Good info on leader setups for both dedicated ESN lines as well as using conventional line. A few good patterns with various sizes of beads is a great way to get dialed in on finding your setup for various types of water.