Fish Don't Feel Pain?

el jefe

Reaction score
Perhaps a little bit of speculation here, but I think it might be the pressure from the tight line that stimulates the fight. When the fish can not go where it wants to on its own whim, it starts to fight to get there. I say this because of the sequence I experience while nymphing, since I'm a lousy hook setter. If I see the strike indicator go under, it isn't until I tighten the line (since the hook already seems to have set itself, indicated by the strike indicator going under) that the fish really takes off. I realize that the strike indicator could technically go under without the hook being set, but the small size flies I am fishing, and the way the fish is hooked when I land it, suggest that the hook often is set when the strike indicator dives.

karstopo

Reaction score
Interesting topic.

Fish have amazing senses. They can find prey, track, and capture in murky water. They can hunt prey species in cooperative schools. They can cross expanses of water and return to the stream where they were born to continue the cycle. We probably don't give fish enough credit.

But then again, we've been trying to catch and eat fish since we showed up. I don't see any reason to stop. I think doing our best to manage the resource in sustainable ways is the most we can hope for. Personally, if someone feels like catching a fish is too much of an imposition on the fish don't do it. I think fishing, with obvious limits and regulation, falls under the inalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

thehunnydohandyman

Reaction score
Dave, it is not as simple as that. Fishing is NOT a right. It is a licensed sport and therefore is a regulated privilege that the government grants to it's citizens.

While I do not personally have an opinion of importance in regards to the pain of fish, I do have to say that fishing is a GOD given right for any person, not a governmental right, they have just found a way to profit from it. But it must be respected, and not abused.

silver creek

Reaction score
God given rights = natural rights = inalienable rights

Inalienable right | Define Inalienable right at Dictionary.com

"a right according to natural law, a right that cannot be taken away, denied, or transferred"

My opinion is that unless you are a Native American you have no "inalienable right" to fish in the USA. The right of native peoples to hunt and fish for subsistence is recognized in states such as Alaska and in Canada.

Most of us are not natives therefore have no God given or natural "inalienable right" to the fish or game in the USA. The Native Americans were conquered and the land and waters taken from them. The rights to hunt and fish then became a right of the government to administer. In no case did that right become a "God given inalienable right" of non-native citizens. How could God give us a right that was forcibly taken from the Native Americans?

Because fishing is not an inalienable right in the USA, this is the very reason that sportsmen and women must guard what has been traditionally granted to us. The fact is that fishing and hunting is a privilege and not a right. If we think that these are inalienable and cannot be taken away, we have taken the first step to losing these privileges.