fish is fish...

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good morning to all-
So this morning after breakfast for me and the various animals about the place, I took my three weight in hand and headed to the nearest water- a spring-fed clear water pond. I can walk there, by the way, and I make this trip quite often.
When I arrived, I saw a loose group of fish feeding on something hatching in the still water. The fish followed the emerging bugs- little bugs of some kind which I could not see well enough to put a name on them. I had a floating fly on my leader already, so figured it might work in this situation.
I carefully made my way around the edge of the pond and got close enough to reach the bugs and the feeding fish- and with my casting skill, that's pretty close.
Unusually, I made a good cast, let the fly sit, and the bugs and fish came closer.
And then the fly floating just disappeared.
I raised the rod tip, set the hook, and got to work a nice fish- not a bragging fish, but a decent one- back to me.
Strong fish, and I admired its colors and size before I released it back to the water.
The rest of the fish were still following the emerging bugs, so moved closer and made another cast. Again, the fly floated there and as the fish came closer, it again disappeared in a gentle swirl. This was a little bit better fish. I played it in, the little light rod did its work, and I had another fine fish.
And then I made a third cast. The line went over the feeding fish, there were several swirls as the fish spooked and left at a great rate of speed, and that bite was over. I have that effect on hot bites, it seems.
But the most interesting thing about this little adventure- the fish I was catching were healthy, aware, and challenging to fool...bluegills.
It seems that fish of very different kinds will act very much the same in similar situations. So even though bluegills are not highly regarded by many fly anglers, they can be just as picky, cautions, and quick to depart if things don't go to suit them as any trout.
Fish is fish- and they're all valuable.

good morning to all- Ed

philly

Reaction score
Nice bluegill. I'm one of those fly anglers who holds bluegills in high regard. Next to bass they're my favorite fish to catch. I've run into a similar situation on a lake in Vermont. There was a school of fish following the hatch. I thought trout but they turned out to be large golden shiners. I caught a few and did the same thing you did and laid the line across the school and they scattered. Never run into a school of bluegills doing that.

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good afternoon to all-

Brother, if bluegill grew to the size of bass, it wouldn't be safe for anyone to swimming with them. I do like my 'gills- especially when they're in a popping bug kind of mood.

good day to all- Ed

ArcherA

Reaction score
I would pit a bluegill against ANY fish. If Bluegills grew to the same size as a Bass, a Bluegill would pull a Bass backwards.
That is very true!!! The uneventful fish is a Crappie. They fight a second, lay on side, and surf-ride it in :)

stenacron

Reaction score
I tried trout river fishing for the first time this AM. Completely struck out. Then went to my buddy’s lake house and caught a whole bunch of little perch. It completely redeemed my day. Even caught it on a wooly bugger I tied!
Perch are great fun and good eating.

Since moving to Utah and becoming a diehard, stillwater trout angler... I wonder what it would be like to go back to my favorite panfish lakes in PA an apply some of the same tactics. Chironomids under an indicator (just as one example)... I imagine panfish gobbles those things up like crazy too.